We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa debit

derby
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
visa debit

Hi we are going to Sri Lanka at the end of the month will there be any problems just using my visa debit card for payments or would it be better with one of those travel money cards you fill with money thanks Mark

Mentioned in this post
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa debit

I no longer use cards for payments in Sri Lanka due to risk of cloning. Now I only use cards for withdrawing cash from ATMs.

Hans

Mentioned in this post
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa debit

Hi Mark...

For payments, use cards that do NOT take money direct from your bank account for the reason that Hans has said, high risks of card frauds in Sri Lanka..

Better off, and safer, using credit card for payments, but tell your card issuer that you will be using it in Sri Lanka, or you run the risk of it being stopped for use outside of your usual spending habits..

Regards

Dave

Mentioned in this post
London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa debit

I used my CaxtonFX pre-paid debit card in Sri Lanka. I used it for withdrawing cash from ATMs and once to pay my hotel bill. As a back-up my wife has her CaxtonFX card on the same account and then, as a long stop, we have a credit card. It is the only card I use around the world. The only exception has been for car hire in NZ and Ireland where a credit card has to be used. I have been using my pre-paid debit card for four years in nine countries across four continents, and can recommend it as a convenient, cost effective means of carrying money on holiday and international travel.

Enjoy your holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa debit

Hi Dave,

Do the hotels in Sri Lanka accept VISA debit Cards?

Thanks

Mahen

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: visa debit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:20