We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maybe staying at the Fortress?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Maybe staying at the Fortress?

Hi there,

My husband and I want to go to Sri Lanka in August 2013. We have not been before. We are thinking of staying at the Fortress which is the type of accommodation we like, but there does not seem to be much to do in the area.

Are there any places to eat other than in the hotel? (We do not expect fancy restaurants at all and would love to try the local food) If not, how far is it to travel via tuk tuk or bus to a nearby town that would have a little atmosphere?

The other option I looked at was staying in Hikkaduwa. Would this be a better option? If so, any suggestions on where to stay? We like luxurious boutique style accommodation, preferably more adult orientated as we do not have children.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :-)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maybe staying at the Fortress?

1: to galle it 15 km.

You can go by car, train or or tuktuk. (if you fancy going on tuktuk) Station

is also close by. Galle fort UNESCO Heritage site.

maps.google.com/maps…

2. Koggala have beautiful beach

3 There is koggala Lake where you can go for boat ride and there are

couple small island.

4 Martin Wickramasinghe Folk Museum just in front of your hotel

5 Whale watching. i am still no sure about this venture. But if it is happening koggala air port is just 1.5 km along the main road.

http://www.lbo.lk/fullstory.php?nid=808012915

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maybe staying at the Fortress?

The sea at Koggala will be too rough for safe swimming in August.

Whale watching season (Mirissa) ends in April.

Hans

3. Re: Maybe staying at the Fortress?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 06:15