We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Sri Lanka

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in Sri Lanka

After my previous trips to South East Asia I am considering to travel to Sri Lanka this year for around 3 1/2 weeks in September. I checked JBR on here, went through guidebooks and came up with a first draft of a possible itinerary.

Day 1: Arriving around 1.30pm in Sir Lanka - staying in Colombo for a night

Day 2: Take the train to Kandi

Day 3-5: Kandy

Day 6: Travel to Nuwara Eliya

Day 7: Horton Plains

DAy 8: Travel to Ella

Day 9-10: Ella

Day 11: Travel to Arugam Bay

Day 12-15: Arugam Bay for some R&R

Day 16: Travel to Polonnaruwa (aware it is a long distance, is this actual possible to do in one day?)

Day 17 - 22: The Cultural Triangle - would like to see Polonnaruwa, Minnerita NP, Ritigala & Sigirya Rock (and one or two lazy days).

Day 23: Travel to Colombo

Day 24: Colombo

Day 25: Return flight

I try to have a good mix of culture, outdoor activities and some beach time. As it is September I think the east coast would be best for beaches - and Arugam Bay seems to be the best option - even if it means that it requries a longer detour.

Unfortunately I will miss Trincomalee, but I cannot find time for it in this itinerary.

It would be great if you could provide any feedback (if this is too much etc).

Also, would I easily find accomodation for $10 or $15 a night in these places? And would an average of total spending of $50 per day ok (excluding entrance fees that is)?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in Sri Lanka

Day 16.

The most direct route to Polonnaruwa from Arugum Bay is to go north up the East Coast to Trincomalee and then turn west. It's about 220 km [ worked it out for my upcoming trip!] which is far too much for one day, even by car. You could stop somewhere between. I don't know if you'd be able to do it by bus but I do know that if so, it would be a longer and more difficult trip than by car.

I'd be surprised if you could find many accommodation places anywhere at USD10 or even 15. If you could, they'd be really basic and room only. Everything I found was at least USD40 plus. At UDS10- 15 the guesthouse would not make a profit from your visit.

Archi

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in Sri Lanka

Thanks Archi,

I was hoping to get up to Batticaloa, and then turn west (or this is what you referred to). So would it be better having a night stop there?

I am actually looking for room only - not a breakfast person and have dinner wherever I find something. Maybe I am spoilt from Thailand, Laos and Cambodia, where I could easily find decent accomodation for $10 and $15 (with fan).

$40 a night would be far too much for me for a 3 week holiday I must admit.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 12:07
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,829 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in Sri Lanka

I'm afraid Archi is right. Guesthouses room-only with fan and cold water would start at Rs 2,000 now and often are 3,000-4,000; hence USD 35. Lankan government discourages budget tourism and the guesthouses themselves with their huge price inflation do their share in that too...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in Sri Lanka

Thanks. Didn't expect the prices to be similar to some B&Bs in Scotland.

I need to consider to travel for a shorter period of time then, or indeed not to go at all. As I like my longer holidays it seems if I want to explore South Asia, India might be the better alternative for my budget.

Thanks again

colombo
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in Sri Lanka

do not loose hope in sri lanka for $50 you can manage a day in sri lanka but dont hope to stay at A/C rooms with good service

a basic room you can find for 3500 Rs in sri lanka and other 1500 Rs you can spend for the meals sometimes their someplaces you can find lower than 3500Rs

so visit sri lanka once you visit next time you will come with $100 per day .. because its amazing country

Galle, Sri Lanka
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks in Sri Lanka

there are good rooms with AC around the country for 30$ to 40$, i have helped most of my friends with those hotels

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks in Sri Lanka

Thanks,

I will do a bit more research around budgets.

But in the meantime I would appreciate if anyone has any comments regarding the itinery. Is it feasible? Do I miss something I shouldn't?

Wakefield...
Level Contributor
59 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks in Sri Lanka

you will miss pinnewlla the elephant orphanage very famous in sri lanka also the weather will not be so good on the west coast it is better in trincomallee where iam going in july Aseventh timer in sri lanka i prefer the far south and like to take joureys by train I AGREE PRICES AFTER THE WAR HAVE RISEN and south east asia is alot cheaper but you could do this itinerary in two weeks and then in the future return and do some more Hope you go and have agood time amber

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,829 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks in Sri Lanka

And latest on budgets:

www.island.lk/index.php…

Even the Lankan tourist association in Germany now complains about budget accomodation in SL disappearing (due to a combination of government policies and greed of the owners), and the more upmarket accomodation loosing its competitive edge...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

10. Re: 3 weeks in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 04:15