We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First night and Cycling

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
Save Topic
First night and Cycling

I will be arriving in Sri Lanka on June 29 for 3 weeks. I am not good at pre-planning and pre-booking accommodation, as I like to be flexible. I think I will spend at 2 weeks in the central part of the country, as there seems a tremendous amount to do there.

I have a few questions

1. I like to have my first night sorted out. So, where should I go? We arrive at 4.30am, so I figure we will be out of the airport some time between 7.00am and 8.00am. I would like to be at my first destination by 3pm and not have too many changes of transport. Is Kandy the best bet? Could I make it to Anuradhapura? Or maybe I should head directly north to Puttalam and then on to Anuradhapura the next day? Is there any transport (to anywhere good) directly from the airport?

2. Are there any big festivals in the central and eastern part on during the time we are there? I would like to avoid these as getting accommodation without booking could be a huge challenge. Plus, I am not a fan of large numbers of drunken tourists.

3. I would like to hire bicycles most days. Where are bicycles the easiest to hire? Any really nice cycling destinations that I shouldn't miss. I plan to hire bicycles in Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa. I read you can also hire bicycles in Nuwara Eliya and cycle to the tea plantations. Anywhere else?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,119 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First night and Cycling

Hi there,

1] Kandy works, A'Pura also but better with cab transfer; by bus (transfer in Kurunegala) it's about 6 hours, hence you'd still be there in time but quite tiring,

2] Not that we're aware of, Perahera Kandy is August

3] Also in Kandy and in most beach resort towns. For Eliya you need a good condition and a 20-speed bike, quite steep!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

somerset uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First night and Cycling

I have sent you a PM. I have done many cycling trips in SL.

Richard

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First night and Cycling

Thank you

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: First night and Cycling

Hi Richard,

I'm going cycle touring with my girlfriend around that area next month. I'd be grateful of any information on particularly good routes you've found. We'll be taking our own bikes so can deal with the climbs.

Much appreciated

5. Re: First night and Cycling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 06:19