We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Third party ETA application web sites!!

Liskeard, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Third party ETA application web sites!!

Hi there,

I have applied for my eta through what i thought was the official SL government site but have since worked out that it was infact a third party site (found here: www.eta-sri-lanka-visa.com ). They seem ok but i am a little worried. I rang them today and they said that my eta had been approved but that there was some technical hitch with sending out the approval document and gave me the approval number ( 16 numbers and letters) over the phone.

Should i be worried about this and if it does turn out to be dodgy can i get an ETA on arrival at Colombo. I am travelling in 2 days so am a little concerned that i need to get this sorted soon.

It may just be me but it seems very easy to head to third party application sites and end up being charged for something you could very easily do your self!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,804 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Third party ETA application web sites!!

Hi there,

Generally they fine, it's just that you waste money due to their extra fee. But if all else fails you can get ETA at airport too, it costs 5 USD extra compared to over-Internet.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Liskeard, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Third party ETA application web sites!!

Thanks Guys

Much less worried now

Does seem like a bit of a scam, it would be helpful if the official government site was a bit more obvious. But hey maybe i should be a bit more observant!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,804 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Third party ETA application web sites!!

I'm afraid it's the latter. Even for Australia electronic visa, which are free for Westerners, apparently there is still a third-party website running making money out of it ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Third party ETA application web sites!!

you can chk your ETA status by entering your passport no and Nationality in below link

https:/…checkStatus.jsp

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Third party ETA application web sites!!

i have looked at the site http://www.eta-sri-lanka-visa.com/ and Sri Lankan flag is right at the top giving the message of a official website. When i checked at "contact us" page there is no physical address/postal address. someone has registered a keyword rich domain name and trapping people to make money. "blue200" should have validated before paying them.

Liskeard, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Third party ETA application web sites!!

Very true I really should have looked closer although it would help greatly if the official site was more obvious when compared to the others. It is very unusual for me to make a mistake like this but i was in a rush and just didn't look properly, i suppose that is what they are relaying on. I'm still usure weather they have actually made an application for me. I did ring to ask and they gave me an 11 digit code that is supposed to be my confirmation. whether this works or not is another question, suppose i'll find out at colombo!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,804 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Third party ETA application web sites!!

Did you try the action in reply #4? Should work regardless of where the application was made, on this site itself or indirectly as it should have been done in your case...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Liskeard, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Third party ETA application web sites!!

I just did eric and all is fine the application is approved. Thank you all for your help

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Third party ETA application web sites!!

We have also been scammed by the www.eta-sri-lanka-visa.com site.

Is there no protection from Google who make it the most prominent site on the list? They charge £35 vs $30(~£20) on the official SL government site?

Is there an ombudsman to appeal to.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Third party ETA application web sites!!

Is there no protection from Google

-------------------------

You have to ask Google.

Hans