We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jaffna?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Jaffna?

I have rarely seen Jaffna mentioned in itineraries. We are planning our first ever trip around Sri Lanka and can't decide if devoting limited time to going up there would be worth it. We are particularly interested in cultural/historical value rather than beach holidays! I would love to read arguments for and against visiting Jaffna.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jaffna?

Jaffna is well worth visiting and I have had PMs frequently during the last few months with people planning on going there. The civil war problems are over and results are not a problem for tourists. From your info it seems that you would enjoy the different culture of the north. It is rapidly being turned into something else again with Buddhist/Sinhala presence increased IMO, of course, from the viewpoint of a foreigner who has lived there in much earlier times.

Conditions there for your visit would depend on your travel season.

If you search "Jaffna" in the forum search box you will get links to many posts about Jaffna.

Regards

Archi

London, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jaffna?

I've just been on my first trip to Sri Lanka, did the cultural triangle and the south this time. I was so impressed with the island that we are planning to return next year and visit the north and east at a different time of year to fit in with the weather conditions.

My Sri Lankan tour operator has said that this is a wonderful area to visit, and will give us an idea of the "old" Sri Lanka, and is happy to arrange this for us. He assures that the area is safe for tourists, having taken his own family there for a holiday last year.

Hong Kong, China
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jaffna?

just came back from Jaffna last week. highly recommend to go there even we spent a day to get there and another 9 hrs to leave there to go to Kandy. Sri lankan there is different from the south. They speak Tamil language but the southern area use Sinhala language which cant be understood in Jaffna( and thts one of the reason causing the civil war) But peoples there are vy simple and honest. I met a 11 years girl at Chatty beach(north island). Im a totally stranger to her, and we cant communicate at all.But when I asked her where can I get some water(forget to buy water, vy stupid), she invited me to go to her hm to get some water and her family treat me their cooking (taste just like restaurant made). It was just so warm to share our smile in tht afternoon with no speak.

u can still see many bullet holes in the down town building. the nurll temple is beautiful. Jaffna is a small town which u can take tuktuk finish it in half day. But if u look for a non-commercial, tourist place, it is you choice.

4. Re: Jaffna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 07:19