We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help finding guesthouse close to Gampaha Station

Auckland
Level Contributor
33 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Need help finding guesthouse close to Gampaha Station

Hi folks

We will be arriving in Colombo at around 10pm and want to travel to Anuradhapura by train the next morning. Can anyone recommend an economical guesthouse/hotel close to Gampaha or Veyangoda Stations so we don't have to muck around with long tuk tuk/taxi journeys the following morning? The nearest one I can find is 13km away and I've been told that in the mornings that can take around half an hour at least. I had visions of finding a guesthouse really close to the station so that we'll easily make the 6.15 train!

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Anuradhapura
Anuradhapura
North Central Province, Sri Lanka
Gampaha
Gampaha
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help finding guesthouse close to Gampaha Station

Hi Scotty

I have noticed a couple of guesthouses between Gampaha and the airport but not well enough to remember names. I have sent a message to family in Gampaha to see if they can let me know. I'll pass any info to you. From outside appearances I thought the accommodation would be very basic.

There are some listed here on TA as well.

Regards

Archi

Edited: 09 April 2013, 12:13
Mentioned in this post
Gampaha
Gampaha
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help finding guesthouse close to Gampaha Station

Scotty

tripvillas.com/holiday/…

I thought I knew the Gampaha area quite well however I can't visualise where those listed on TA are located except for Christine Nature Resort which is at Weliveriya which might be too far for an easy early morning ride to the Railway Station.

Archi

Mentioned in this post
Gampaha
Gampaha
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,303 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help finding guesthouse close to Gampaha Station

From the infamous paper Tourist Board book, sorry had it at home. Good info but it's infamous because after 10+ years it's still quite different, and generally more detailed, info than on the website of that same Board. Only picked addresses which look in town.

Momento Tourist Guesthouse, 24 Vijaya Road Gampaha, 033-2222543

Rest Inn, 20 Sudarshana Mawatha Gampaha, 033-2223088

Seoul Hotel, 72 Orutata Road Gampaha, 033-2232447, seonlhotel@hotmail.com

Green Palace Hotel, 57/30 Nittambuwa Road Veyangoda, 033-2297201, www.hotelgreenpalace.lk

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Gampaha
Gampaha
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help finding guesthouse close to Gampaha Station

Momento is still in operation. I thought it a bit far for early morning run to the train however I am a bit hazy about that.

Archi

Auckland
Level Contributor
33 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help finding guesthouse close to Gampaha Station

Brilliant - thanks to you both for your really good information. That's been a great help. Cheers Heather

Auckland
Level Contributor
33 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help finding guesthouse close to Gampaha Station

Hi again - I can actually see the Moment Guest House on Google maps and it doesn't look too far - much better than having to stay in Negombo and then travel in the morning. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Negombo
Negombo
Auckland
Level Contributor
33 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help finding guesthouse close to Gampaha Station

Sorry folks - one last question. The phone number for Momento Guesthouse is wrong and I've tried to find the new one but can't. Does anyone have any ideas how I can find the new one? I've tried googling till my eyes are bleeding but with no luck!

Auckland
Level Contributor
33 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help finding guesthouse close to Gampaha Station

Success - I found a guesthouse and have managed to phone them too - what a bonus! Only 300m from the station too - on Sudarshana Mw, Gampaha. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Gampaha
Gampaha
9. Re: Need help finding guesthouse close to Gampaha Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 06:15