We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka in April/May

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka in April/May

Hi

I will be travelling to Sri Lanka with another female on 26th April this year - we are staying until 13 May. I realise that we are in peak Monsoon season. As such, I was intending on going from Colombo to the East side of the island - Arugam Bay.

Can anyone recommend a rough itinery to get us from Colombo to Arugam Bay and back. We are not intending on getting a driver - pur budget is very limited.

Any advice greatly received.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,575 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka in April/May

Hi there,

Not necessarily peak monsoon, and also monsoon in Lanka means wind not rain. See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c176578/Sri-L…

for the patterns, indeed ABay and the rest of the east coast is better climate now.

There is a direct tourist bus Colombo-Abay; outbound daytime and back nighttime. But of course this way you don't see that much of the country. Hence a slower approach would be, over 3 days

1] Stay overnight Negombo (near airport)

2] Train to Colombo and then Colombo to Ella. Reserved seats 2nd class on two of the three daily trains (should still be some available the morning itself), and 1st class plus Internet-bookable Exporail/Rajadhani on the 3rd train.

3] Bus Ella-Wellawaya and then Wellawaya-Pottuvil, tuktuk or the odd bus for the last mile to Abay.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka in April/May

Thanks, helpful tips. I think we'll probably do the journey over 9/10 days so will need a few more pit stops on the way...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,575 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka in April/May

Plenty of options! E.g. first Sigiriya and surroundings before a few days Kandy/Knuckles, and also Ella deserves a few nights.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka in April/May

We are arriving on the 24/25th April at about midnight, staying in Negombo for that half night.

Catching the train colombo to Kandy, staying there 25th and 26th when we will get a driver to take us to pinnawala elephant orphanage then on to Admas peak for the trek 27th then via nuwara eliya for the tea fields and spice plantations and stay a night in Ella on the 28th.

From there we will go across to arugam bay for 29th and 30th, then back to yala for the national park on 1st then a night in unawantuna 2nd, galle on 3rd, hikkaduwa on 4th and 5th then back to the airport.

Thats our itinerary and I think Ive done a fair bit of reading althouh it might be pretty hectic!

5. Re: Sri Lanka in April/May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 05:19