We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'peak' season in the south of sri lanka

somerset
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
'peak' season in the south of sri lanka

I am confused about this inter-monsoon period in the south- koggala, hikkaduwa etc

Dave advises that peak season is November (for hotels)

Don't really understand the logic with hotels if the inter-monsoon kicks off towards end of October.

Is it because october is so much wetter than september and november and the inter monsoon relates more to wind rather than rain?

how long does the inter monsoon period last and am i making a wise choice by staggering a holiday between last 2 wks of september and first two in october rather than the whole of october? would going 2 weeks earlier in september make that much difference?

How bad can it get in October and would the rains completely ruin my holiday?

I do not know what to expect as it is my first time in sri lanka (don't mind some rain)

Also will there be a few things to do to keep me occupied whilst in the south- trips etc although i have no real itinery and don't want to travel for days- shorter outings would be good,

Thanks for any advice on this topic

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,168 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'peak' season in the south of sri lanka

Hi there,

It's all in the climates and seasons link given earlier.

That has nothing to do with official price catalogue peak season and low season; for some obscure reason (maybe airline winter schedules?) in the southwest that catalogue labels Nov-1 as start of peak season. However occupation is often worst year-round in November and early december, hence actual prices are far below the official ones until mid December...

Yes, mid Sept as a start is a lot better than start of October.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'peak' season in the south of sri lanka

Peak season are Christmas to end March and mid July - August.

Inter Monsoon season are the seasons between the monsoons, and have quite unsettled weather.

You may experience 3 types of days:

- Fully clouded with the odd shower, light or heavy

- 3-4 hours sunshine after 8 am and clouds building up in the afternoon with hefty thundershowers late afternoon, evening and night

- sun-clouds-rain-sun again and so on with the sunny spells lasting at least an hour and minimum 4 hours per day.

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'peak' season in the south of sri lanka

Sorry to disagree, but southern/western hotel "Off Season " ends on October 31st and starts again on May 1st..

There are of course high peaks such as Christmas and both Sri Lankan and western New Year times, when hotel rates go up even further.., so September/ October are indeed in the "Off Season" so far as hotel rates are concerned..

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'peak' season in the south of sri lanka

'Peak' can be described by price or by occupancy;-)

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'peak' season in the south of sri lanka

Hans..

I was ONLY referring to official peak season :-), yes hotels sometimes jiggle rates depending on occupancies..

Regards

Dave

6. Re: 'peak' season in the south of sri lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 05:17