We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Beach Area?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Topic
Which Beach Area?

I am not a lie around on the beach all day kind of person and also not a party person. My primary interests are cycling, birdwatching and cultural history. But, on my previous 2 trips to Asia, I haven't even got to see the sea. So, I think I should make an effort this trip.

I would like to stay in an area where I can hire bicycles, so that I can do something and then cycle down to the beach, have a swim and then cycle off somewhere else and then maybe cycle back for a swim later on. The stuff to do doesn't have to be cultural, and can just be a nice area to cycle in.

So what area offers things to do/see, bicycle hire, plus a nice beach?

My trip is in July

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Beach Area?

Hopefully 2nd part of July. Then weather in Hikkaduwa will be nice and about the only place on the west coast that is safe for swimming (behind the reef).

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,034 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Beach Area?

Hi there,

East coast (Trinco, Passekudah) for best swimsafe sea; southwest coast (e.g. Hikka or U'tuna) for best developed inland infrastructure and sights. Bike hire is possible everywhere.

All the bets,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St Albans
Level Contributor
359 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Beach Area?

Most of the South and South West coast should have inland areas nearby that are pleasant for cycling: quiet roads, small villages etc.

I'm not sure if you can reach many cultural sights from the coast on a day cycle. One possibility would be to stay in Tangalle and cycle to Mulgirigala, which would be a pleasant trip, but I'd go early morning to avoid the heat.

Be aware that hire cycles will probably be of very poor quality. I used a free bike from a guesthouse in Tissa for a short trip last July, but I wouldn't have wanted to go much further on that particular bike.

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Beach Area?

Negombo would be a nice place for your kind of activities. Bicyling and beach just side by side.

Negombo also called little Rome has a big Catholic Church and an ancient Anglican church in the city area

you can go to on bicyle. See the Hamilton Dutch canal now under renovation, take boat rides, go fishing with the native fishermen and visit the Negombo buddhist temple in Angurukamulla.

All these on your bicyle. But take extra precaution when getting into the ocean as sometimes rip tides and many foreigners drowned.

Negombo is very close to the main airport.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,034 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Beach Area?

... and Negombo has a lousy beach compared to almost all other beaches in Lanka. E.g. Hikkaduwa and Bentota/Beruwala have miles of wide sandy beaches with relatively clean water, not the narrow and often rocky beach of Negombo with not that clean water too...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: Which Beach Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 05:17