We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bed and breakfast or half board at chaaya tranz

somerset
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
bed and breakfast or half board at chaaya tranz

I am thinking of staying at chaaya tranz in september/ october for a couple of weeks.

Can't decide whether to go for just b&b or half board (buffet)

Can anyone advise on this ie. food quality and selection at chaaya tranz. Would i get bored?

Don't know whether its better to eat out at various places as a single person or if its just easier to stay there for dinner. Do restaurants close over sept/oct?

How much should i expect to pay for curry and rice with beer for example at a cafe/restaurant

Any advice on this dilemma would be appreciated

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bed and breakfast or half board at chaaya tranz

Hi

Chaaya serve good foods and also they have few theme nights every week, also there are plenty of local restaurant there but not all of them sell beer, cost of curry and beer approximately Rs1000 (£5) in medium class restaurant.

Regards

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bed and breakfast or half board at chaaya tranz

The most expensive curry and rice I have had (4star restaurant) was 1000lkr (us$8?) with a beer (long neck) 280lkr, that's at a top end scale ... At the lower end, we have seen curries for 450lkr, maybe cheaper. If hikka is anything like unawatuna the restaurant choices are plentiful and atmospheric, it would be a shame not to be choosing amongst them I would think.

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bed and breakfast or half board at chaaya tranz

Hi

I hope you mean 4star hotel, you can have rice and curry for Rs150/ in Sri Lanka but the problem is they don't have liquor licence to sell beer hence the restaurant who got licence to sell beer is bit upmarket than normal Sri Lankan restaurant hence so the price of rice and curry.

regards

somerset
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: bed and breakfast or half board at chaaya tranz

Thanks so much for your reply on this Carol.

If I choose to eat out i am a little concerned that a lot of the cafes/restaurants will be closed as it is low season i believe (september/october)

Please can you advise on this,

Thanks

Oh, on an amusing theme the (restaurants) in kerela gave you beer in a brown bag which you had to put under the table like a secret drinker!

somerset
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: bed and breakfast or half board at chaaya tranz

Thanks for your response,

are these current (ish) prices as i do not want to run out of funds.

Agree with you about ambiance of place if kerela is anything to go by

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bed and breakfast or half board at chaaya tranz

Current as of this week. Amaya hills kandy, Sri Lankan curry 1000lkr (us$8) same for the grand hotel in nuwara eliya.

We were eating at more expensive places earlier on as we were worried about getting upset stomachs before Adams peak trek and while we had lots of driving to do but now we are eating anywhere and everywgwre but its nearly all been seafood so I haven't noticed the cheaper places curry prices as its not been what I have been after! :) i can comment on beer though, the beachside restaurants near the hotels have all been about us$2 for a long neck of lion brand beer, you might be able to get it cheaper in the back streets though too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bed and breakfast or half board at chaaya tranz

Hi There,

Yes, it will be bit of off season for the region but there will be still plenty of restaurants choose, even though off season hotels are around 40/45 % occupied during those period, so not that bad for local business.

Yes, if you set for those price there is room to adjust depends on your taste.

Oh, on an amusing theme the (restaurants) in kerela gave you beer in a brown bag which you had to put under the table like a secret drinker!

-------

no you won't come cross such theme night in Sri Lanka but they will suggest local Arrak to go with Sri Lankan night etc.

Regards

somerset
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bed and breakfast or half board at chaaya tranz

Thanks for your replies and suggestions

9. Re: bed and breakfast or half board at chaaya tranz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:15