We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base to stay in the Cultural area. Inexpensive & local.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Base to stay in the Cultural area. Inexpensive & local.

We will be self driving in Sri Lanka, flying to Colombo early morning & immediately driving to the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage.

After that we will spend a couple of days visiting Sigirya, Dambulla, & hopefully Polonnaruwa, (possibly rafting next) then heading to Yala National Park, then on to the beach.

We will probably need 2-3 nights accommodation in the Cultural Triangle area. What is the best place / town to stay after seeing the elephants? . . Are we best to drive to Dambulla cave temples first and then next day Sigirya, or vice versa.. We maybe quite tired from flight.. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

We are used to back packing accommodation with family rooms, 2 adults and 2 older teens in the same room. We love local accommodation in-expensive, but clean, with local good food on premises or nearby.

Thank you

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base to stay in the Cultural area. Inexpensive & local.

Sigiriya is best to base for cultural triangle but Dambulla also got some accommodations

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base to stay in the Cultural area. Inexpensive & local.

Unfortunately, in my experience cheap and clean don't go together in all but one guesthouse I know in Sri Lanka. I've found The Cultural Triangle to be even more of a challenge for such requirements since that is where the moneyed tourists go. If you do find a place please do post a report as many people would be interested in that. It will not be easy to find places where you can have two teens in the same room. An exception would be some of the older colonial era hotels eg in Nuwara Eliya where the rooms are big and have more than one queen sized bed.

Nice Place between Dambulla and Sigiriya has large rooms and may be able to add extra beds [ I noted extra space which did not have another bed in it when I was there] but I wouldn't describe it as cheap - going on what visitors seem to want as a cheap price. I thought the value there was excellent and the place spotless and friendly. See TA reviews. It's listed on booking.com if I remember correctly.

The best place to stay after seeing Pinnewala really rests on the timing of your arrival. If you were to arrive very early AM you could do Pinnewala and then go on to Dambulla which might be very tiring.

Why not go directly to the Cultural Triangle on arrival, do your stuff there and come down to Kandy. Dambulla could possibly [ Flight arrival time?] be visited on the way up with Sigiriya late afternoon and Polonnaruwa the next day. Alternatively you could climb Sigiriya early morning before heading to Kandy and Pinnewala . . . If you have any spare time in the CT seeing elephants in their natural habitat might appeal. You can do this from Habarana area and it should work after a half day at Polonnaruwa. From Kandy you could pop in at Pinnewala which is about 45 minutes towards Matale and then go on to Kitulgala for rafting. From there you would have a long ride to Yala. It wouldn't be possible to do it all in just one day.

Good Luck with your planning and have a great time!

Archi

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Base to stay in the Cultural area. Inexpensive & local.

Hi,

In terms of distance, there isn't a huge difference between Sigiriya and Dambulla from Pinnawala. But, you could be tired after a long flight, and from visiting Pinnawala in addition to the land travel. Therefore, visiting the cave temple in Dambulla on your first day could be the better option.

Then you could climb Sigiriya on the next day.

Regarding accommodation, you should be able to find a family home in the area with breakfast included. If not, you could always find a hotel near by depending on your budget.

Do not hesitate to contact if you have further questions, will be glad to help.

Good luck, and have a great stay in Sri Lanka.

Shamraz.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base to stay in the Cultural area. Inexpensive & local.

Hi Shamraz

Do you have any links to find family homes offering homestay accommodation? We used to stay in such places at times when our children were children and it was really good. They used to be listed in Lonely Planet those days.

Many Thanks

Archi

5. Re: Base to stay in the Cultural area. Inexpensive & local.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:17