We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

upuvelli/nilaveli vs. kalkudah/passekudah ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
upuvelli/nilaveli vs. kalkudah/passekudah ?

Hello,

We are traveling in August and are trying to figure out which beach to focus on--we have about 10 days for the beach. We are experienced backpackers and have traveled twice with our children to India (now ages 8 & 10). We enjoy staying at small, simple, but CLEAN guesthouses/homestays, and eating local food in small dhabas/dosa shops, or I guess in Sri Lanka, hotels, and going to chai shops. Small local temples and pujas are nice as well.

We would like to stay on the beach, or within walking distance. We do not like resorts or fake fancy places. We also do not want to stay in an area that feels like a building site (I understand the east is getting rapidly built up to accommodate all of us travelers...)

Please send updated info on upuvelli/nilaveli vs. kalkudah/passekudah.

Thank you!

Lisa

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,622 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: upuvelli/nilaveli vs. kalkudah/passekudah ?

Hi Lisa,

Sounds like N/U for you. Passekudah area has very few guesthouses and none of them on the beach, whilst at N/U you have a few guesthouses near the beach also. Don't expect tourist restaurants in any number, rice & curry shops (similar to Indian chai shops and dosa restaurants) however are everywhere.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: upuvelli/nilaveli vs. kalkudah/passekudah ?

Hi Erik,

Thank you! What I see online as far as guesthouses in N/U is very scarce, but I assume that once we get there we can walk around and find, yes? When were you there? Are you based in Sri Lanka?

Lisa

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,622 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: upuvelli/nilaveli vs. kalkudah/passekudah ?

Hi again,

Well I wrote "a few guesthouses" so there is not that much more than what you can find online. Biggest concentration is at Nilaveli, near N. Beach hotel; so doubt you'll see that many when walking around. Last visited Uppuveli October, and no Lanka is our 2nd base/house but currently in Europe...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: upuvelli/nilaveli vs. kalkudah/passekudah ?

You will probably have a good chance of finding a place on N/U strip ,once you reach there but if you can book in advance it is always good..

5. Re: upuvelli/nilaveli vs. kalkudah/passekudah ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:16