We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice about itinerary.

Dubai, Dubai...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Advice about itinerary.

Since a friend is getting married in Colombo, we decided to extend our stay and make it a small vacation in Sri Lanka. Below is the itinerary I have sketched. (Aug 24th - Sept 2nd)

Day 1 - Land at 10:45pm. Sleep over in Colombo.

Day 2 - Catch train to Galle at 10:30 for a one day sightseeing trip. Sleep over at Galle.

Day 3 - Catch train back to Colombo for the two day wedding.

Day 4 - Sightseeing and wedding.

Day 5 - Train to Ella 5:55am. Reach 3:30pm (approx)

Day 6 - Sightseeing in Ella and the places around. (Little adams peak, Rawana falls)

Day 7 - Train to Nuwara Eliya at 9:30am to reach by 12pm.

Day 8 - Sightseeing places near Nuwara Eliya (Horton's plain and World's End)

Day 9 - Train to Kandy at 9:30am to reach by 1pm. A bit of sightseeing and food.

Day 10 - Train to Colombo at 6:30am to reach at around 10am. Flight at 6:45pm.

I'll be travelling with my 3 month pregnant wife so I wanted to make sure the trip was as comfortable as possible for her. Any advice and recommendations are welcome. My major concern is train delays and things to do in Colombo, Ella and Nuwara Eliya that may include some wildlife.

I know people have recommended cars being the better mode of transport....but we prefer the feel of a train when it comes to interacting with people that we may meet on journey and the chance of photographing them (both of us are photographers).

Thank you.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 12:36
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice about itinerary.

Visiting Horton Plains and Worlds End in the afternoons is mostly useless due to fog/mist.

Upcountry trains are often delayed.

Hans

Dubai, Dubai...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice about itinerary.

Plan to tackle Horton Plains and Worlds End early in the early morning on Day 8. :)

Delays of' more than an hour?

Thanks

Faisal

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice about itinerary.

some times..

Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice about itinerary.

Hi,

Recommend you to skip long walk to World's end from Hortan Plains gate since your wife may not be able to cope with long walk and high altitude.

trains may delay due to bad weather and Ella and Nuwara Eliya wont give much options in wild life but rich in flora and landscapes.

Cheers!

5. Re: Advice about itinerary.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:19