We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

Islamabad, Pakistan
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

I've booked my family trip to Sri Lanka as we always wanted to but I've reading a lot lately about the recent tensions between Buddhist and Muslim communities there. Is it safe enough for us to travel there? And, any idea what to avoid (if any) as there are several temples we wanted to visit for tourism.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,743 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

Hi there,

No problem for muslim tourists. The (quite limited) problems are against local Lankan muslims.

You could freely visit all temples - just be aware that there is an almost perennial problem with the Buddhist temples prescribing all visitors to have heads uncovered while some muslim lady visitors insist on a covered head. There is no easy way out of this, it will depend on the situation whether such a lady would be allowed in on her own terms or not. But on the other hand any Buddhist lady visiting a mosque (in Lanka or abroad) would generally be forced to cover her head and generally would comply, so the insisting of some Buddhist temple keepers that muslim guests now would comply to THEIR rules as hosts makes at least some sense...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

Yes correct, so be cautious when you visit temples and other than that, no major problems here for Muslims to travel about as long as you take your own personal precautions as in any other country.

Have a great trip.

Treshi.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

Where have you read about tensions?

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,743 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

Any Lankan paper, e.g. the attacks on local mosques and muslim-owned shops by extremist 'buddhists' like the BBS. But as said above, it remains quite low profile and contained and not at all aimed at tourists...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Islamabad, Pakistan
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

Thank you ErikdR and Treshi for the information and I totally agree. Looking forward to our trip there.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 11:36
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

I doubt OP reads local Sri Lankan newspapers;-)

Hans

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

I read the papers on line when a news headline claims my interest. Husband reads them most days.

Archi

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,743 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

Yes and don't underestimate the intrest in 'muslim' countries and their papers (both English and local Arab) in news concerning muslims worldwide. The small Lankan disasters in ethnic harmony have made it quite regularly to the Gulf newspapers, and next to that the English language Gulf papers have most of them daily 2-page sections on Lanka, India, Pakistan, Phillipines etc. catering for the local expats from those countries.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

Quite a lot of the tension is among different muslim groups.

Hans

10. Re: Is it safe for a muslim family to visit Sri Lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 22:27