We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on itinerary, please!

Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
Advice on itinerary, please!

Hi there

I am travelling to Sri Lanka from 12-28 September. I will be travelling by myself, so would appreciate your advice on a few things

1. My proposed intinerary

2. Anything I need to be conscious of as a youngish (29) female travelling alone

3. Any good accom/sight seeing tips.

This is a loose idea of what I'm thinking..

Get into Colombo at 1.30pm in the afternoon of 12th. I was planning on getting a driver and heading to Nuwara Elia. Spend 2 nights there checking out the tea plantations.

14th catch train to kandy - stay one night there (happy to hear accom suggestions)

15th Get a driver from Kandy to cultural triangle - thinking will stay in sigiriya or habarana (open to suggestions for accom!) and stay for 3 nights

I want to make my way down south - want to stay in ella (unsure what best way to do this is without losing to much time travelling?)

From 20th - stay in tangalle for a night or 2 (ganesh garden cabanas have been recommended)

I'd like to stay a couple of days at the yoga retreat in Tallala

And then finish things off in Galle before I head home on 28th.

I would also like to see Sinharaja Forest Reserve. Do you think I should prioritise this?

Thank you for your help in advance!!

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on itinerary, please!

A more logical itinerary would be: Airport-Cultural Triangle-Kandy-Nuwara Eliya/Ella-Tangalle-Galle.

Hans

Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on itinerary, please!

Thanks, Hans.

How long is the drive from the airport up to the cultural triangle?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on itinerary, please!

Approx. 4 hours.

Hans

Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on itinerary, please!

Thanks, Hans.

How long is the drive from the airport up to the cultural triangle?

Was worried I might be trying to tackle too much in a half day getting up there

Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on itinerary, please!

Oh great! Thanks!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
315 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on itinerary, please!

Kate Ella is a much nicer place to stay than Nuwara Eliiya. It is quite small but has a very relaxed vibe, good food, some great walks and the train journey there was one of the highlights of our trip earlier this year (we had hired a driver for the whole trip but got him to drop us off at the train and then pick us up when we arrived in Ella). We stayed at Waterfalls Homestay - fantastic - check out the reviews on TA.

Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on itinerary, please!

Thanks, Jan!

I've heard lots of good things about Ella, so i will definitely take your advice.

Does anyone have any thoughts about whether using Tangalla or possibly talalla is a good place to do day trips from i.e. to yala, Sinharaja.

Thanks, again for your help!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,572 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on itinerary, please!

Yala would work from Tangalle, though it's almost 2 hours to/from entrance hence an early rise or an 8 PM return. Sinharaja for sure not, the park is mainly interesting in morning (enter before 9 AM) so acco must be within 1 hour of northern or southern entrances.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

9. Re: Advice on itinerary, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 06:21