We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to from the airport??

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to from the airport??

hi experts.

me and my girlfriend are heading to Sri Lanka in september for a month and fly in/out of colombo.

we have a bit of an itinerary organised but are really just gonna wing it and take peoples advice as we start talking to people over there. we just don't know which way to head from the airport negombo and onwards northeast or south to colombo then back up?? is colombo worth visiting twice? also if you have any other tips/must-sees we intend on seeing as much as we can so just trying to save any time possible and have a perfect holiday!! thankyou in advance i appreciate your time!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to from the airport??

Depends on your interests.

Hans

Kells, Ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to from the airport??

most people who fly into Sri Lanka stay in Negombo rather than Colombo for first night or two, its closer to the airport (1500 rupees in a taxi) and has decent accomadation and wide choice of restaurants. If you are into culture and buddhist ruins than a few days around the cultural triangle is worth a trip...though bear in mind that enterance fees are expensive....$30 pp for Sigiriya and $25 for Polonnaruwa & Anuradhapura. If you fancy beach and sunbathing time then i suggest that you head to east coast, due to rough seas on west and southwest coasts. We were in Nilaveli last week....beautiful quiet beaches and great weather. 4 weeks is enough time to see a lot of the country....we saw plenty in 2 weeks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to from the airport??

There is nothing much to do in Colombo other than night life, shopping, good restaurants etc so not worth visiting Colombo twice. You can spend it somewhere else that interest you.

Treshi.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,648 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to from the airport??

I agree that it certainly wouldn't be worthwhile visiting Colombo twice. On our most recent trip, we didn't visit Colombo at all but started our journey out at Negombo

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to from the airport??

great thankyou all for that. so weve booked our accom in negombo we are interested in doing a little bit of everything, doing a home stay possibly in the tea plantations, climbing adams peak or sri pada, plenty of beach time possibly some fishing somewhere?? worlds end, a safari tour somewhere???

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to from the airport??

Adams Peak is off season in September, and not recommended to climb.

Hans

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to from the airport??

Depends what time you arrived. We headed straight for Kandy, which was a great place to stay for our first few days.

8. Re: Where to from the airport??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 05:16