We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visits to tourist traps on Saga or Cosmos/Archers tours?

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
366 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Visits to tourist traps on Saga or Cosmos/Archers tours?

We are trying to choose between the Saga 13 night Sri Lankan Adventure and the Cosmos/Arches Grand Tour of Sri Lanka. One thing we hate is wasting time at shops picking up commission when we could be spending more time at the places we've paid to visit. What are people's experiences of this on both these tours?

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visits to tourist traps on Saga or Cosmos/Archers tours?

Hi there..

No personal experience on this particular tour, or 2 companies in Sri Lanka, used Cosmos in the US though, and they were pretty good,.

But in general no matter what organised tour of this nature you choose, you will sadly be coerced into the touristy traps that you have mentioned, no way to avoid it i am affraid, except to book a private car/driver tour..

Maybe look at Kuoni and Mercury Direct who offer the private tour option as well the group ones..

Regards

Dave.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
648 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visits to tourist traps on Saga or Cosmos/Archers tours?

Not sure about those companies that why we booked with a great local driver/guide, we told him we didn't want to go to tourist traps and he didn't take us to any, he did take us to local places to eat which was great as we got to chat with local families and eat great food and 3 weeks touring the island for the price we paid was a bargain.

3. Re: Visits to tourist traps on Saga or Cosmos/Archers tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 19:57
4. Re: Visits to tourist traps on Saga or Cosmos/Archers tours?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 10:57
London
Level Contributor
171 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visits to tourist traps on Saga or Cosmos/Archers tours?

Best way to avoid is talk about it, say how you cant stand tour companies that take you to these commission based places. ..

I told my guys that last I was taken to lunch where it costed more than at Cinnamon Grand... since then all good. .. if you have time to research then dictate where you want to go. Difficult with bigger groups.

London
Level Contributor
171 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visits to tourist traps on Saga or Cosmos/Archers tours?

Best way to avoid is talk about it, say how you cant stand tour companies that take you to these commission based places. ..

I told my guys that last I was taken to lunch where it costed more than at Cinnamon Grand... since then all good. .. if you have time to research then dictate where you want to go. Difficult with bigger groups.

7. Re: Visits to tourist traps on Saga or Cosmos/Archers tours?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 05:17