We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING: Women Travelers

Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
WARNING: Women Travelers

My friend and I are two women travelers here at the moment and since we've hit the beach areas women have been getting date rape drugs in their drinks. We were warned in Tangalle by two women who had gone to a beach bar in goyambokka who had been drugged. Last night my friend got drugged in Marissa at a beach bar.

So please remember to be careful and keep your drinks safe and not to share drinks with anyone.

Be safe everyone and happy travels!

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WARNING: Women Travelers

stick with drinks with caps that can be checked that they have not been interfered with..someone offers you an already open bottle refuse it....

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WARNING: Women Travelers

Have you reported to Police? it could have been better if you did , then they will be able shut those places down upon complaint/evidence they gather.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WARNING: Women Travelers

Oops, sounds scary and I m sorry you had to face this situation. Pls report to the authorities concerned in order to stop this sort of acts in the future.

Rgds,

Treshi.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WARNING: Women Travelers

Surprised not more replies to this posting. Is this a widespread problem in Sri Lanka? What other precautions should women travelling take? Going early next year with a friend and doing a private tour with driver. Anything specific we should look out for?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,735 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WARNING: Women Travelers

No it's not that widespread, but slowly growing esp. on south coast. Still, Lanka remains a relatively safe country for women tourists even when travelling alone as long as they take the usual precautions. Like not walking dark back alleys alone (would you do at home?), going out in swimwear to an area outside the strict beach zone where only tourists and tourism-adapted locals come, or befriending local men in such a way that they might get wrong expectations. Just don't be afraid to say NO in someone's face, if needed publicly and in local language, and you should have no problems.

All the best,

[Sandya] & <Erik>

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WARNING: Women Travelers

Thanks for reassurance! I'm a pretty sensible feisty Scottish lady, I'm sure I won't have any problems! Now off to practice my scary face and some choice local phrases? Any you'd recommend? Or not for public forum? he he

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,735 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WARNING: Women Travelers

What we usually mention here, and no it's not below the line language ;-), are phrases like Yanne/Yande ('go away'/'get off') or simply Nèhè (pronounced Nai-hai like in 'Air') for 'No'.

Other locals to add, either in public or in PM ;-)

All the best,

[Sandya] & <Erik>

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WARNING: Women Travelers

Lovely, shall get practising.....Or put on what my husband calls my F off face

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WARNING: Women Travelers

This was put out by the British FCO (hope the link works)

www.youtube.com/watch…

10. Re: WARNING: Women Travelers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 06:31