We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

East Sussex
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

We're considering a holiday to Sri Lanka next year, but with so many different resorts I don't know where to start. The problem is that I like the beach, swimming & snorkelling, but my husband doesn't - he likes walking, nature & bird watching. We both like soaking up local cultures, eating out, having a drink in local bars, and travelling independently. We're not keen on all inclusive resorts, or isolated hotels, and we don't like being organised by others, we like to do our own thing & are quite happy getting around on local transport. We would particularly like to see some elephants. We don't want to stay in different places as it's too much trouble to keep packing & unpacking, so want to stay in on place. Has anyone got any suggestions on a resort that might suit us both?

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

Hi Maryjand,

I am afraid , there is no one particular place you can stay and do all attractions in Sri Lanka, they all spread out though the Island, hence better choose at least 3 bases to cover all the wildlife/park. beach/hill country and cultural triangle.

Regards

Edited: 08 September 2013, 20:11
Mentioned in this post
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,184 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

Agree. And already to finetune your plans for the beach part: snorkel is on southwest coast January to March-April, and on east coast May to October. (No eating out possible there in the snorkel areas being Trinco and Passekudah.) The southwestern beaches are still quite okay e.g. in July-September and swimmable sea behind the few reefs but no useful snorkel there at that time due to the rough sea outside the reefs.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,498 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

Sri Lanka is definitely a country for touring and not for staying in one place.

Plan time in Cultural Triangle (Habarana/Dambulla), Kandy, Tea Country (Ella or Haputale), Tissa for Yala and somewhere near Galle for beach. 5 places is not too many

Take very little luggage and buy some washing powder when you get there. Packing isn't a problem then.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 08:08
Mentioned in this post
Habarana
Habarana
North Central Province, Sri Lanka
Dambulla
Dambulla
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Ella
Ella
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Haputale
Haputale
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Galle
Galle
Galle District, Sri Lanka
East Sussex
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

OK, thank you for replying. Will need to do a bit more research then!

East Sussex
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

Thank you, sounds like West coast in March might be good - would be really disappointed after flying all that way to find that sea was too rough for swimming!

East Sussex
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

Thank you for your reply - think I'd better buy a guide book!

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

Until mid March is OK for sure, but end might be bit rough. to be safe side choose coral/reef protected beach e:g: Hikkaduwa/Unawatuna then those beaches will be safe to swim .

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Hikkaduwa
Hikkaduwa
Unawatuna
Unawatuna
London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

You can get some ideas from guide book but be careful when planing finance/cost etc as those guide books are seems to be dated hence accommodation/foods costs could 30/40% higher.

Regards

Edited: 09 September 2013, 19:47
Doha, Qatar
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

Hello,

I went on a tour to Sri Lanka in last July. I was also looking for my own holiday but sometimes people give us very biased comments on there choices. The best is to search more and more. Sear on tripadvisor, lonely planet, virtual tourist and other related forums.

I stayed in Chaaya Village and it was the best place I ever stayed. It's not a hotel actually it's a sanctuary.

I also had a very good tour company offering well-customized tour plans and accommodations. You can book your accommodation as you like and at a good price.

Happy holidays!

Khalid

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Where should we stay on out first visit to Sri Lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:24