We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much spending money for 2 weeks?

York, United Kingdom
14 posts
Save Topic
How much spending money for 2 weeks?

Hi everyone,

I am off to Sri Lanka for an 11 day tour then 3 days on the beach in January and I'm wondering how much money would be appropriate to take. All excursions in the tour and hotels are already paid for and I'm half board so only have to buy lunch and drinks each day, souvenirs and bits and pieces. I've never actually been on holiday on my own before, or in any way involved in organisation so I don't want to take to little and not be able to do something or buy something I happen to like, but I don't want to take too much and loose it all. I was thinking about taking about £700 but any advice would be appreciated!

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks?

You should have take little bit cash and your credit/debit cards with you to spend as you wish.

York, United Kingdom
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks?

This is going to sound stupid but I hadn't actually thought about cards. I was planning on taking a mixture of travellers checks, sterling, and the limited amount of sri lankan rupees you can take with you. Thanks for your advice!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks?

Don't even try to obtain LKR outside Sri Lanka. The exchange rate will be lousy and you can maximum import LKR 5,000 (approx. GBP 25) legally.

Hans

York, United Kingdom
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks?

I knew the limit was about that, but thought it might be a good idea to have some local currency on hand at arrival. I might use an ATM at the airport instead once I've spoken to my bank about international fees though. Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks?

And hearsay in this forum is that UK banks are abolishing TC's very quickly, so they're not really an option anymore...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks?

The banks have ATM's in Sri Lanka, just like England.

I always just take cash to change when I get there, & have a few debit/credit cards to use if necessary.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks?

Bank counters at the airport are open 24/7 year round.

Hans

York, United Kingdom
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks?

Thanks everyone! Had a natter with HSBC and it looks like the best bet is using the ATM when I get there, but taking about £200 to change there just in case I loose my cards.

9. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 06:19