We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian travelling to Sri lanka

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian travelling to Sri lanka

Hi,

I am going for my honeymoon to Sri Lanka. My problem is that I am a vegetarian though my fiance is a non-vegetarian. I have heard that it is difficult for a vegetarian to survive as there are not many options available or rarely any for them to eat(just writing what I heard).

Please help. Also please suggest if there is any specialty or particular dishes that one must try(if possible with description).

Regards,

Anjali

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,575 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian travelling to Sri lanka

Hi Anjali,

In the local rice & curry restaurants indeed it can be challenging, as standard for even vegetable curries is to spice them up with some fish sauce. But in tourist restaurants in my 20 years veggie travelling in Lanka I never had a problem getting something. In buffets it's always most choice but with a-la-carte or set menus there's also enough variety, though you do risk of having 3-4 main dishes only and being forced to repeat e.g. the Monday order on Friday too.

All the best,

<Erik>

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian travelling to Sri lanka

3-4 dishes is more than enough for me as I don't have that great appetite but yes I am a food lover and would love to taste new cuisine and dishes.

I don't mind having fish sauce(or any such thing) in my dish as I am not a hardcore veggie. I am OK with everything till the time I don't need to bite or swallow meat/flesh :)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian travelling to Sri lanka

Vegetarian food in Sri Lanka is not a problem.

Hans

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian travelling to Sri lanka

Hi Anjali

You will be fine if you eat local dishes - Sri Lanka has a lot of vegetables that you will enjoy trying.

Chicken and fish are easily available for your fiance. Beef is not so good unless you are in a higher star hotel.

Enjoy!

Archi

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian travelling to Sri lanka

Thanks. I guess he would stick to chicken and sea food only

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian travelling to Sri lanka

Hi Anjali,

All you have to do is to ask and it will be provided. Vegetarian food is not a problem at all in Sri Lanka as others have mentioned. Try out things like `Kottu; and hoppers, you will like them.

Rgds,

Treshi.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian travelling to Sri lanka

Thank you Treshi :)

8. Re: Vegetarian travelling to Sri lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 06:20