We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 day 7 night itinerary- enjoying our last day

singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
8 day 7 night itinerary- enjoying our last day

We are enjoying the last day of our fantastic 8 day holiday in Sri Lanka. We are travelling as a couple in our mid 30s and had planned the trip with the help of a tour agency who customized our trip for us. We are interested in hiking, sightseeing of the ruins in the Cultural Triangle and in visiting the Yala national park. Specifically, we were not terribly interested in tea factories and plantations, gem factories or cultural performances.

First 2 nights in Jetwing Vil Uyana at Sirigiya. Visited the Sirigiya, Polonnaruwa, Dambulla Caves and the Minnerva Elephant Safari.

Second 2 nights at the Inheritance Tea factory. Hiked to Baker’s falls and Horton’s Plains. Must not be missed! 3 hours of easy hiking across a gentle plateau plains and some forest. Gorgeous, breathtaking views at World’s end. Contrary to what some guide books advised, we took the advice of our tour guide / driver and set out from our hotel at 8am, reached entrance of the park at 9:45 am and had no problems with mist or visibility in the park itself. Even when the conditions were misty, the clear skies and views returned in minutes. The park was not crowded at all (Thurs) and there are long stretches of walks where we did not encounter any other hikers.

Last 2 nights at the Wild Cinnamon Hotel visiting the Yala National park.

Last night at Jetwing Sea , Negombo.

The itinerary was well spaced out and relaxing as we did not want to rush from place to place or have the hassle of changing hotels every night. We used the service of a personal tour guide / driver for the same reason ( PM only if interested) The hospitality of the Sri Lankans we met along the way was amazing and the service we received was op notch! Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 day 7 night itinerary- enjoying our last day

Hi there,

Just saw this, I'm off to Sri Lanka at weekend for 10 days... I'm actually a hotel reviewer so have a couple of freebies but will be on a cheaper budget probably than you. Is it still feasible to do this on a tighter budget - say $100 day inc accommodation do you think? Am travelling solo.

And did you guys consider Mirissa + galle? I'm thinking it has to be one or the other - would appreciate your thoughts as your trip sounds great.

Final q - do you know if you can get train from Colombo to Dambulla?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 day 7 night itinerary- enjoying our last day

Oh PS - what animals did you see at Yala? Was it circus like? Animal spotting in non captivity is a big priority to me so love to know where best to do this in that area!

singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 day 7 night itinerary- enjoying our last day

The highlights were the leopards and sloth bear. I was told that the sloth bears are quite rarely spotted at Yala hence we were quite chuffed. We spotted the elusive leopards thrice but at a distance so we had to use a bit of imagination and the help of binoculars. Lots of birds, spoonbills, various species of bee eaters,painted stocks, herons, pelicans etc. Plenty of peacocks, water buffaloes, mongoose and crocodiles. Hope that helps:) We went on 3 separate safaris, each lasting about 3 hours. Wild Cinnamon offers intrared aided night safari as well.

singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 day 7 night itinerary- enjoying our last day

100 a day sounds do able especially if you get a hotel reviewer's discount:) My impression is that the only thing that is truly expensive is the entrance fees into the national parks and attractions and foreigners are charged substantially more.

I was told the train ride is very scenic but unsure about the stops, It does go into the hill country though.

Considered Gallee but decided to see Kandy instead as it was on our way to Nuwara Eliya.

Hope that helps

The Hague, The...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 day 7 night itinerary- enjoying our last day

Hi all-

I'm also going to Sri Lanka, probably doing similar activities.

A friend of mine mentioned that there may be a new airport opening up in the South, but I can't find any information on this online.

Did you fly in and out of Colombo?

Thanks so much

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 day 7 night itinerary- enjoying our last day

Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport - near Hambantota - opened in March 2013, but is still serviced by very few flights.

http://www.mria.lk/

Hans

Edited: 30 October 2013, 13:16
7. Re: 8 day 7 night itinerary- enjoying our last day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 05:21