We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adventure Advice

Norwich England...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Adventure Advice

Hello there,

My partner and I are looking to travel to Sri Lanka next June. We're thinking 14days, and around £2500/3 budget wise. We're really keen for an adventure, and because of our previous destinations, we're not looking for just a beach holiday. We're wanting to get into the mountains and jungle, with the beach more of a dy trip option. So many of the hotels seems to be more aimed at a beachy type thing, we're struggling to find the perfect place. We do want at least 3 stars, but the location is key. Any advice for the best places to stay for a jungly, walking, adventure holiday but with the luxury of a good hotel, not a tent would be greatly appriciated! Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,036 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adventure Advice

Hi there,

You might need to split. Good bases would be:

* Hunas Falls, Knuckles mountains near Kandy. Untouristy area with lovely treks.

* Olympus or Melheim, Haputale mountains. Larger trekking area

* Any luxury hotel near Sinharaja for a real jungle trek, e.g. Rainforest Edge

Real lowland jungles are too opressively hot for trekking except early morning and late afternoon, would not recommend those.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adventure Advice

In June east coast beaches are best, but too far for day trips from inland bases.

Hans

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adventure Advice

If you like a comfortable stay in a bungalow, try

https://www.facebook.com/Clovefieldvilla

http://ashburnhamestate.com/

https://www.facebook.com/SirJohnsBungalow

http://www.kelburnemountainview.com/

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adventure Advice

Guess i am eligibel to give my openion on this as I have alrady completed an adventure tour in Sri Lanka and alrady on the second one. I did trekking, wildlife safaris , canoeing , rafting , cycling and had lot of off the beaten type encounters. Our accommodation also had been a mix of camps / lodges / luxury hotels ( with character ) / average hotels / bungalows etc. Areas to focus on are Sigiriya / habarana area / centrals mountains including knuckles and Belihuloya ( long stay ) / wildlife parks / and south of Sri Lanka. If you like wildlife more ,focus coukd be shofted here and there. Try .srrilankaecotoursm.com to check more options available.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adventure Advice

Daniel, would like to know more about your off the beaten track experiences in the mountains...Im into exploring such places & would like to know more.

Visiting Kothmale, Nawalapitiya, Pundaluoya areas next week!

Next woul be Devils & Satan's Steps & Belihul Oya area.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adventure Advice

Hi I did a trek from Bogowanthalawa to Belihuloya and made a base there and did some good treks. One of the treks lead to a place called Kalthata ( from Beli ) and was very ingesting too. I was based at River Garden Camp and treks were organized by Eco Team. You r referring to two treks from Beli and I guess they are leading to Horton Plains. Haven't done them yet.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adventure Advice

Actually, we are hoping to do Devil's & Satan's Steps as part of a 4WD adventure tour with Little Adventurers. They do a Charity Drive up there.

Your Bogawanthalawa to Belihuloya trek seems interesting. How long did you take to walk from one to the other? Is it trenuous - wading in swamp/ water/ climping rocks etc (which Im not happy doing!?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adventure Advice

It's a day trek and fairly hard. No much water / Swamps . But goes through bit of a wilderness that u got to be careful. We had some good guides and wasn't be an issue. U need to know where you are going as u could get easily lost.

So these treks to HP are only be done by jeeps. Eco Team was talking about trekking up to HP and thought these could the treks.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 10:05
Colombo
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adventure Advice

There is a trek to HP from the Devils Stairs..but thought it would be out of our league! I like panoramic views & moderate walks, no leeches.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adventure Advice

There is a trek to HP from the Devils Stairs..but thought it would be out of our league! I like panoramic views & moderate walks, no leeches.