We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money - what is best to take

Portugal
Level Contributor
31 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Money - what is best to take

I am sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer! We live in Portugal therefore our currency is the euro. Is this widely accepted? What about travelers cheques are these accepted and if so what is the best currency for these to be in? Any advice on what is best to bring would be appreciated as we are planning to be in Sri Lanka for nearly a month. Many thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money - what is best to take

Just bring EUR and change to LKR in Sri Lanka. Travelers cheques can be changed at banks and major hotels.

Depending on the fees your bank/card issuer will charge you a credit/debit card is a good option for withdrawing cash from ATMs.

Hans

Mentioned in this post
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money - what is best to take

Using US Dollars is pretty easy too.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,184 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money - what is best to take

Yes but totally useless if people would first have to buy USD from their own e.g. pounds or euros or Singapore or Japan money. Just bring your own 'strong' currency and exchange locally...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money - what is best to take

And find out, as to how much, your Portuguese bank will charge when you make a withdrawal from a foreign ATM. Hopefully it's not a big fee and you can just withdraw at intervals.

I'd hate to carry around my entire, month long, holiday budget in cash.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 06:31
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money - what is best to take

I think you'll find SeekingPlaces, that most people will keep their money in the hotel safe, & just carry on them, what they need each day. Its what I do anyway

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
70 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money - what is best to take

We opted to just use the ATMs, they are almost everywhere (on the tourist track) and we were never in trouble to fin one. We took 50€ with us, just in case and arrived back with the same note. Yes your bank charges a fee, we always withdrew the maximum amount allowed and carried this in a concealed pouch.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
646 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money - what is best to take

What about Aussie dollars? Can they be changed at a decent rate at the airport? We will have ATM cards but just in case we would have cash as a back up.

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money - what is best to take

what I dont understand is why all the hotels quote in US dollars..what happens when you come to settle your bill?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money - what is best to take

They all quote in Dollars as it's a kind of Lingua Franca. i.e Everyone knows the value of a USD but usually have to look up what the local currency rate is. This is common practice all around the world.

You should be billed in LKR.

10. Re: Money - what is best to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:20