We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort/hotel help please!

Teesside
Level Contributor
53 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Resort/hotel help please!

We are looking to go to Sri Lanka in September next year but can't decide on hotel or resort. We are looking at either the sands aitken, club hotel dolphin, or Avani kalutara? Does anyone have any info on these as to which one is best or even just in terms of resorts? Really any pointers or tips would help before we book!

Thanks in advance

:)

Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort/hotel help please!

Hello there,

I haven't been to any of the hotels you mentioned but Aitken spence has a very famous chain of hotels in Sri Lanka. They have hotels all over the island and I have been to some and they are wonderful. Based on these I'm guessing your budget is something around $150 per night. There are wonderful hotels in Hikkaduwa, Nilaveli, Unawatuna, Arugambay and Dickwella. All these are along the coast sothey are beach resorts. For any further info contact me on keveend@gmail.com

I'll be happy to help you in any way possible.

Cheers,

Keveen

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort/hotel help please!

The beaches on the west and south coasts are not safe for swimming in September due to waves and strong currents - except reef protected beaches at e.g. Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna.

It's peak season on the east coast.

Hans

Teesside
Level Contributor
53 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort/hotel help please!

Thank you for your help. I'll have a look at those resorts. Do you know anything about kalutara as a town, are there any shops or bars to walk around?

Todmorden, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort/hotel help please!

Hello, 1, Aitken spence are an excellent company who will go at your pace if you ask(depends on age) Some of the trips try to rush thru' and feel as tough they have to show you everything. If you fall in love with the country as my husband and I did then you can afford to be bold enough to say 'hang on, need a breather here' or 'can we stop for a brew please' whatever.

2.1st time we went we booked independently but not package, so we were in hotels but not A/I .

3. Subsequent visits have been with us booking purely on the internet from flights/transport/ B&B places etc., it depends upon whether you wish to have any beach holiday anywhere or whether you give in to the country and learn as much as you can. Cheers, enjoy.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort/hotel help please!

The hotels are approx. 4 km from Kalutara town centre. There are plenty of shops, but hardly any bars.

Hans

Teesside
Level Contributor
53 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort/hotel help please!

Great thanks for your tips all info is very welcome I can't wait to book now!

Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort/hotel help please!

Kalutara is a town about 40km South of Colombo. The weather is quite similar to that of Colombo. It's a predominantly buddhist area so you will have a hard time finding a bar. There's a huge stupa next to the river. It's hard to miss that. There are good restaurants but they aren't the best. The beaches there aren't the best in the island either.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort/hotel help please!

Avani Kalutara is the better hotel of the 3 mentioned. But it's still not the best resort/beach town in Sri Lanka. Avani Benthota is a much better establishment placed at a better location.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort/hotel help please!

I ve been to Sands, Kaluthara and I recommend it highly. The hotel looks fabulous after the refurbishment and the service as always as Aitken spence hotels, super!! I have been to many hotels of Aitken Spence and i feel that the food here is excellent!!

10. Re: Resort/hotel help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 17:45