We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you carry your passport with you all the time?

Tehran, Iran
11 posts
Save Topic
Do you carry your passport with you all the time?

Thanks for your time, I'm planning a motorcycle trip all around Sri Lanka, and I was wondering weather I should be carrying my passport on my person all the time? or the IDP, ID card and passport copy would be sufficient?

Maybe I should just store my passport at the safety deposit boxes in the airport or somewhere in Colombo until I finish my adventure?

Any advise appreciated.

Bobak.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,486 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you carry your passport with you all the time?

Hi Bobak,

Passport on your person due to all legal risks with Insurance etc. Even for normal tourists we'd Always recommend having it within reach, e.g. in the hotel safe for that day, but driving (which is suicidal anyhow, other discussion) it's more essential to have it at hand.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you carry your passport with you all the time?

Keep your passport on you Bobak. I used a small chest pack when riding and the secure front zippered pocket carried my Passport, IDP, AA, Wallet, Bike registration, Insurance papers and iPhone. They are always in front of your eyes, hence, always secure. IMO.

Mark

Tehran, Iran
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you carry your passport with you all the time?

Thank you so much for your answers, I will do that.

Doesn't the bike rental company take your passport as collateral for the bike?

Bobak.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you carry your passport with you all the time?

Hey Bobak,

No, they take a copy of it and hold a deposit that is refunded in full on return of the bike in good condition. Keep your passport secure on you at all times mate.

Mark

5. Re: Do you carry your passport with you all the time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 05:17