We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best SW beach?

San Francisco
11 posts
Save Topic
Best SW beach?

Hi - Me and my gf will be visiting the southwest beach area of Sri Lanka for several days in January. We would be very appreciative on any feedback on what may be the cleanest/best/most swimmable beaches this time of year and whether there are any particular accomodations you may suggest for around $200/night that are on the beach.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best SW beach?

I'm a fan of Unawatuna, southern Sri Lanka but on the south western side just 10-15 minutes from Galle. Beautiful swimming beach towards the temple and plenty of accommodation options for low to mid range budgets. Higher range is limited and the best I have found is Kingfisher. There is the Unawatuna Beach Resort "UBR" (which I understand has been taken over, renamed and renovated but now lacks a decent beach), they do have a pool. Plenty of beach dining options. Kingfisher rates are around $120 per night and when I checked a few weeks ago UBR had rates from $75 upwards, probably the best you will find unless you look at private villas which are available on some sites. The two I have mentioned are seafront. Beaches around that area but more western side include Hikkaduwa and Bentota which will offer higher standard options of accommodation and various other towns but I don't think the beach is any better.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best SW beach?

All beaches from Beruwala/Bentota and further south would qualify.

Hans

Edited: 21 November 2013, 04:27
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best SW beach?

Hi,

Some more hotel suggestions;

Citrus Hotel

www.citrusleisure.com

Chaaya Tranz Hikkaduwa

www.chaayahotels.com/chaayatranz.htm

Coral Rock by Amaya

www.amayacoralrock.com/‎

Some have recommended the following hotel also but I have no personal experience;

Roman Beach Hotel

www.romanholidays.lk

Rgds,

Treshi.

4. Re: Best SW beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:19