We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

hey I'm landing in colombo airport at 430 in the morning on the 29th of december. looking to book a cheap hotel or guesthouse for a couple of nights to rest up and figure out where to go next. I've looked at a few places but would appreciate any suggestions. thanks.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

There are plenty of cheap guesthouses in Negombo.

Hans

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

Why not say what you have already looked at then we will know what you mean by "cheap". Guest houses mostly are cheap in comparison with hotels.

Archi

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

Well from other countries I've been to an expensive guesthouse would be 25 dollars a night. As it's my first time ever being in Sri Lanka I will pay a little more to get over the jet lag for a few nights.

If I was arriving at a better time of day I wouldn't bother planning ahead and would figure it out when I got there.

So if someone can suggest a nice clean place for me to look into that may be open at. 5 am that would be great.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

Well, plenty of suggestions and recommendations here

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g297897-Negombo_Weste…

Click " B&B and Inns (70) " and read through ?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

In Sri Lanka USD 25 dollars would be almost impossible to get. Guest houses, decent ones employing cleaning staff and keeping up with maintainance to give visitors complaint free stays could not survive on that.

Archi

Edited: 26 November 2013, 09:29
Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

Actually I've found a few options for less then that. I'm not going on a vacation, I'm going to pack around a few countries for 4 - 6 months. So I don't need anything fancy. I've always found trip advisor forums to be incredibly helpful. Not sure why the Sri Lanka forum is different. Thanks for the info.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

Hi Nufan

Great to learn that you are not the usual tourist and have time to see the out of the way places, off the tourist beat. That's good as you should have a great time with people who have not heavily engaged in tourism and all that that brings. It also means that you have probably found guesthouses that 2 or 3 decades ago were termed "homestays".

While homestays had to be registered, they were smaller establishments - family homes - that offered accommodation and family life to travellers. As such, they did/do not have the overheads guesthouses [ which are often small hotels] have. Their staff were/are "servants" on a different pay scale to staff in guesthouses who have to have insurance and superannuation factored in to their pay and are therefore more expensive to hire. [ If this is the type of accommodation you have found, please consider giving a tip to these lowly paid servants.]

Other running expenses are less, too. eg Electricity rates are much lower for private homes than businesses.

Have a great time in Sri Lanka. The best part is often well off the tourist trail.

Regards

Archi

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

Thanks for the positive response. I've read up on a few home stays and hope I end up in more of them then hotels while there. Anything to immerse myself more into the local way of life. I'm there to learn and take pictures. And of course enjoy myself while doing it. thank you. I figure I'll just wing it and hopefully find a place when I get there. I've never had a problem in the past. Well once in Myanmar. Take care.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

Nufan

I just noticed that Srilal Fernando is listed under B&B Negombo. We stayed there while waiting for adult children to arrive in the country 18 years ago. It was a very nice home stay then.

Regards

Archi

Yatiyana, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheap guesthouse recommendations not far from the airport?

you can find a guesthouse in negombo start price from Rs 2500. normally in all the guesthouse's you can check in at any time.