We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets

Paxos, Greece
Level Contributor
131 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Train tickets

Hi everyone

Quick bit of advice on a dilemma please.

I've just checked expo rail for kandy to peradeniya tickets (doesn't stop in Hatton apparently) on 14/2 & there's some seats left at 1600LKR But I also checked our onward journey on 15/2 (weekend day incidentally) after walking Adams peak - peradeniya to Ella & it's fully booked already!

Against my better judgment I've gone & created a fairly rigid itinerary through the hill country so not getting a train would be an issue for us.

What's everyone's honest opinion for mid feb regards getting train tickets. I appreciate that expo rail isn't the only train but should I be trying to find an agency to book tickets for me ahead & pay a booking fee, if so can anyone recommend someone?

Or do u think my hotels/guest houses in each location would possibly get these tickets for me?

HELP!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,581 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets

Hi there,

On the two other trains that day also 2nd and 3rd class can be reserved, quite a good chance to get seats when you try at e.g. Kandy the first day that you are there also for the other days. You probably put Peradeniya at a wrong place in the text as Kandy to Peradeniya is not really a logical stretch to do. See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c195051/Sri-L…

for general info.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Paxos, Greece
Level Contributor
131 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets

I did Erik! Oops

And now I see that it's not fully booked.

Sorry one more question. Rajadhani express coaches look more traditional but their website is a nightmare & can't seem to book that far ahead. Would you play it safe & just book expo rail or is it really worth trying to get the more nostalgic coaches to enhance the journey?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,581 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets

Hi again,

Search forum with keywords Exporail and Rajadhani to get some comparisons. Never went inside each of them, sorry...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets

ExpoRail and Rajadhani Express are luxury coaches attached to ordinary trains.

Hans

5. Re: Train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 06:18