We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prices in sri lanka

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
prices in sri lanka

Hi

My husband and I travelled to KL last year with our 4 teenagers. It cost a lot to get there but once we were there we were really impressed with the very low cost of eating out, public transport, and admission costs. It made the whole trip really affordable and since we were there for nearly 3 weeks we would probably have spent more if we had travelled closer to home purely because of the cost of living.

we're hoping to travel somewhere similarly low cost this year. Could Sri Lanka be the place? and if so ,where would be the best place to stay. we know that if we end up somewhere that is exclusively a tourist trap then things will get more expensive again. (We had a couple of days in Singapore on the way home last year and DEFINITELY need to avoid those kind of prices!!)

Thanks

Ride in SriLanka Tours & Travels
Multi-day Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Archaeology Tours
Apex Round Tours Sri lanka
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Youfirst Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,855 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prices in sri lanka

Hi there,

I'm afraid not really. For instance Vietnam and Indonesia come a lot closer than Lanka. Public transport and eating out YES, more or less other SouthEast Asian level - but with the severe limitation that this applies for local Lankan food only. Which is quite spicy and not as varied as in those other countries, and where hygien can also be an issue. Tourist dinners in Lanka start at USD 8-10 per person including local soft drink - quite a lot above e.g. Malaysian food court/hawker prices (but o.k. not Singapore tourist restaurant level). Also Lankan public transport qualitywise is far below that in Malaysia and Vietnam.

Adminission costs for tourists in Lanka are crazy, often USD 25-30. Worth it, maybe - but not that competitive in the Southeast Asian market.

Hope this gives some idea...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prices in sri lanka

That's really helpful to know, thanks for taking the time to post that. It's definitely the foodstall/hawker type prices that we are after. Is there anywhere in particular in Vietnam or Indonesia that you would recommend?

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prices in sri lanka

Hi

Sri Lankan accommodation is far more expensive than the approximate equivalent in Malaysia, transport less convenient and fewer casual food places with less variety. As also mentioned, entrance prices at places of interest add up steeply.

However, Sri Lanka does have a lot to offer if you ignore the above and experience the ancient history, beautiful and diverse scenery, flora and fauna of the small island. Safaris and whitewater rafting would appeal to your teenagers.

Malaysia has its own beauty and I love the place however it is no match for Sri Lanka. There is more to it than KL so have you thought of going to the Perehentian islands? Your teenagers would live it. Borneo for the primates? Bali has a lot to offer too but I recommend avoiding Kuta.

Regards

Archi

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prices in sri lanka

will start researching. thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,855 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prices in sri lanka

And for Vietnam I'd recommend focusing on the southern half, depending on the month of the year. From Nha Trang onwards down has brilliant beaches like Mui Ne, hillstations (Dalat) comparable to the Himalayan and Lankan ones, and the lovely Mekong Delta.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prices in sri lanka

brilliant. thanks

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: prices in sri lanka

Vietnam Laos Cambodia north Thailand are all really cheap and very impressive. Sri Lanka seems a bit above the budget pocket book so far for accommodations anyway. I think food and transportation is really cheap here. If only for a short trip it's not to expensive. I thought kl was expensive though when I was there.

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: prices in sri lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:18