We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka

Malta, Europe
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka

I plan to visit Sri Lanka for the first time this May for our honeymoon.

I was recently reading an article where it said that it is disrespectful to kiss in public and hold hands. Is this true? Is it against the law / religion law?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka

Yes, kissing in public is disrespectful.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka

Yes but don't compare to e.g. an Arab country! For tourists esp, in their own turf, e.g. beaches, no problem. But Sandya and me, she now more or less Westernised, indeed have had to become more careful about this and e.g. not hold hands when we walk the ramparts of Galle Fort and we see police nearby :-( After all she's stlll considered a local at first glance by the other locals...

All the best,

[Sandya] & <Erik>

Malta, Europe
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka

Dear All,

Thank you for your reply. This is good to know as I did not have any knowledge about this and do not want to end up in trouble over there.

We are spending 10 days over there and we are visiting places which fall in the cultural traingle like Sigirya, Anuradhapura, Dambulla. We are also visiting Galle Fort - so Sandya and Erik thank you for the tip given.

Daniela

Malta, Europe
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka

Just one last thing... we are going to be travelling by car around sri lanka with a guide. Can me and husband-to-be sit together at the back seat or is it against the law as well?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lanka

It's fine seriously. Sri Lanka is a majority buddhist but multi-religious nation. As foreigners I wouldn't be worried about holding hands, kissing or anything in terms of the things you talked about. Culturally they might have a bit of a stare and a bit of a frown from some old people but seriously there are no major issues in terms of the official law. People of mixed sexes sit together all the time. Certain areas of Sri Lanka are a bit backward and more conservative for example in Kandy. But in the south, north, east and colombo etc I wouldn't be worried at all. Relax and enjoy your trip to Sri Lanka, it is a wonderful place to visit.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 11:46
6. Re: Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 16:05
Malta, Europe
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sri Lanka

In sri lanka's airport is there any restrictions on medical pills? Do they stop you if you have pills like panadols or stomach pills? Also, we are passing from dubai; are there any restrictions over there?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sri Lanka

You will be fine with basic medications, vitamins and supplements as long you don't have suitcases full of them!

Luggage is rarely checked ( though theoretically possible) on arrival.

It's perfectly okay to bring limited quantities of alcohol as well. You can purchase them on arrival at the duty free. Medicines, cigarettes and contraceptives are available at stores island wide.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sri Lanka

There are certain religious sites and other places where you are required to cover from your shoulders to your knees, and behave respectfully (no holding hands, no hugging, no smooching etc)

as for everywhere else, do behave as you would behave in your home town/country: As long as you are not planning on totally making out in public, it's all good :)

Edited: 17 January 2014, 12:22
Malta, Europe
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sri Lanka

Thank you for your replies.

Is it ok for women to wear skirts? Knee-length or angle - length.

Also for men: can they wear shorts up till the knee?