We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Extension in Colombo

UK
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Extension in Colombo

Hi, I have searched the forums but still not found the answers I'm after:

I'm staying in Sri Lanka total of 85 days. ETA is for 30 days. At what point do I get visa extension or does it not matter? (can I get it first day or so I have to wait until later?)

What do I need for extension - proof of funds? What is acceptable? Passport photos, can I get them done nearby immigration office as I don't have any. Anything else I need? Pay in local currency?

Is extension done same day or will I have to stay overnight in Colombo?

Thanks ever so much to anyone wth experience t share :-)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Extension in Colombo

You can extend any day within the the validity of your original visa. There is a photo booth just outside the visa office - 4 photos LKR 150.

You pay in LKR and extension is done on the same day. It usually takes 2-3 hours.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,546 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Extension in Colombo

And indeed you need some proof of funds, minimum is something like USD 15/day but showing credit card and some hotel bookings usually does the job.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Extension in Colombo

They will hardly ask to see your credit card and return/onward ticket.

Hans

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Extension in Colombo

I had to do this in Colombo about 6 weeks ago. I got into Sri Lanka mid November and I got the extension approved 5 days after I arrived. I would suggest getting this over as soon as possible. Colombo is a shockingly crowded city and the immigration office here is a complete utter joke. The people working in the department of immigration in Sri Lanka are a complete bunch of idiots and the whole process is a farcical process of waiting and waiting as your passport sits in box after box of a stupid government worker. It's a joke that tourists who spend more time in Sri Lanka have to go through this process instead of being able to get this approval at the airport. Even the customs officials at the Sri Lankan airport laugh when they see the visa extension as they see you've had to go through a painful process of waiting and waiting to get that. I would suggest going early in the morning as possible. The immigration department office is shockingly crowded and you might even have to stand for the entire time. This is why Sri Lanka must make this process occur at the airport instead of at this joke of an office in Colombo. Sri Lanka is an amazing place but this process is damaging tourism in Sri Lanka 100%. It cost approximately 4000LKR for the extension.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 04:12
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa Extension in Colombo

Follow the rules or stay less than 30 days in Sri Lanka;-)

Extension fee depends on your nationality.

I never had to 'stand for the entire time'. There are plenty of chairs.

Hans

UK
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa Extension in Colombo

Thanks for the info. I've read about lots of different charges for the extension so will go prepared.

Still not sure about proof of funds, I intended only taking debit card and as we're backpacking we don't have hotel reservations.

One thing - do we make the application then have to wait or can we leave and come back later that day?

Think I'll take the advice of getting it done as soon as possible then if there's to be a problem hopefully there's time to sort it. It sounds a bit of a headache but hopefully no worse than other parts of Asia.

I appreciate all your help

Edited: 05 January 2014, 07:35
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa Extension in Colombo

You fill in the application, queue outside a deputy commissioner's office. He will run through your application, but hardly ask any questions. He will take your application and give you a token. Then you have to wait 45 mins - 1 hour until your number is called.

It's now time to go to the cashier to pay the fee. Finally you will have to wait about an hour until your number is called again, and you will get your passport with the visa extension.

Hans

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa Extension in Colombo

If im right in thinking you have not left yet? Go on the sri-lankan gov site, then click on visa's. You can down load the application form & it gives you all the instructions on the site what to do. It costs £45 for 90 days. I telephoned the embassy & thats what they have told me & my husband to do. Hope this helps x

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa Extension in Colombo

I'm leaving tomorrow. I couldn't find a form on the website and when I contacted the embassy previously they told me to do it in Colombo!

If you have a link to the form that would be great, is it to take and pay on arrival or is this something I needed to do before now - I'm guessing the latter!

Living and learning..... slowly!!!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa Extension in Colombo

You can't extend your visa on arrival. You need to go to Immigration Department in Colombo to do that.

Hans