We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in September - itinerary ideas needed!

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in September - itinerary ideas needed!

Hi,

I'm planning on travelling to Sri Lanka in September, beginning with a couple of days in Kandy and then Habarana.

I then want to make my way to the East coast, probably Arugam Bay, stopping in a place or two en route.

I'd like some ideas as to where to stop - I prefer to travel mainly by train, and would love to see some wildlife (Sinharaja and Kumana sound great!) but could do with some help figuring out the best places between Habarana and the coast. Would it be best to skip Habarana altogether and just head towards the coast via some wildlife sanctuaries?

And what about getting back to Columbo to fly home - is there a way we can do this mainly by train instead of a long bus journey?

Any suggestons would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,089 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in September - itinerary ideas needed!

Hi there,

Unlogical sequence. Colombo-Habarana-Kandy-Arugam is less distance than what you plan. And see the train network in Lanka first before considering that, it's quite limited and not very helpful in your route. Between Kandy and Arugam eg. Ella or Badulla is a nice stop. Sinharaja is out of your route, Kumana (Yala East) is a nice excursion from Arugam.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in September - itinerary ideas needed!

Great , thank you!

Are there any other beaches that are nice (and dry in September!) but more convenient?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,089 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in September - itinerary ideas needed!

Well the southwest beaches are more or less dry, but sea outside the reefs is too rough for swimming. Which also means no scuba/snorkel at all even near the reefs.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in September - itinerary ideas needed!

Thanks again,

I read that it was the Southwest monsoon season in September - is that not right? Ideally we'd like to swim in the sea if possible.

Is this route any better or can you offer any suggestions to improve it?

Colombo - Habarana - Kandy - Arugam Bay - Kumana - Yala - Ella - Columbo

I'm happy to reconsider the whole thing to make travelling easier! As I mentioned before I'd love to see wildlife and I'd be particularly interested in seeing Loris / Bushbabies etc as well as spending some time on a nice, quietish beach and the tea plantations.

Would we be better to head North for beaches to make travelling easier?

Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in September - itinerary ideas needed!

Arugam Bay is a surfing paradise - not swimming. You can safely swim in Passikudah and Trincomalee/Nilaveli.

Hans

6. Re: Travel in September - itinerary ideas needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 15:35
7. Re: Travel in September - itinerary ideas needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 05:17