We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in July?

Copenhagen, Denmark
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to go in July?

HI everyone!

Me and my mum are going to Sri Lanka, it is her wish to visit the country and this year she's turning 60, so it will be her bday gift. Unfortunately, we didn't go in the Winter as planned due to illness, and have our next chance of vacation in July-August. I know this is not the recommended time of the year, so I was wondering if anyone could advice us to go anyway, or if we should reschedule for next year instead. What we are looking for is renting an Apartment or a house, close to a Beach for swimming, where there is possible to go out and have a meal in the evening or do local grocery shopping. We also want to travel around a bit and explore, so the trip would last for about 1 month.

All tips very much appreciated! :-)

Travelling Pearl Lanka - Day Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Shopping Tours
Luba Tours - Day Tours
City Tours, Shopping Tours
Ayesha Gems and Jewellers
Gift & Speciality Shops
Leather.lk
Gift & Speciality Shops
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in July?

From mid July weather in southwest is usually quite nice with some late afternoon/evening showers, but swimming is only safe at reef protected beaches, e.g. Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna.

Hans

2. Re: Where to go in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 08:05
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in July?

May I ask why it isn't safe to swim in other beaches than the reef protected onces?

Kandy, Sri Lanka
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in July?

Hi,

July is a good time to visit the east coast as well, however I don't think that there are apartments for rent and swimming is not recommended. You can visit the Pigeon's island in Trincomalee and enjoy snorkelling if this is something you will like. Passekudah in the east is again a lovely beach.

Best,

KD

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in July?

Sea is too rough - high waves and strong currents.

East coast (Passikudah and Trincomalee/Nilaveli} is perfect for swimming in July.

Hans

6. Re: Where to go in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:20