We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPhone personal hotspot

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
iPhone personal hotspot

Hi, I am travelling to Sri Lanka next week on a cycling trip.

Can anyone tell me if the iPhone personal hotspot can be used (for iPad wifi) with the two main providers, Mobitel and Dialog, with their tourist SIM packs?

Also, I don't really need voice calls, as I use Viber and Skype. Is it possible to get a data-only SIM?

Can I get these at the airport?

Thanks

Rick

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: iPhone personal hotspot

Yes it is possible to set up hot spots through dialog and Mobitle. I guess tourist sim packages aren't different from normal packages on this condition. Anyway any pre paid sim can be used as far I know.Yes you can get Data sims from mobitel, also pretty sure dilalog has them as well.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iPhone personal hotspot

Both Dialog and Mobitel have counters at the airport.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: iPhone personal hotspot

Get a local SIM from one of the airport counters.

Enable "cellular data" and "LTE". The personal at the counter will assist you with that.

You can then use data on your iPhone. Coverage is quite good throughout the island. You don't need to enable your wifi for any of this. You don't need a "data only" SIM either.

Data charges are quite low in Sri Lanka, and the tourist packages - offered by the major providers - will be enough for a short stay. If you end up using a lot of voice apps (viber , skype etc) you can top up your credit as you travel.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPhone personal hotspot

Thanks very much for your help.

Rick

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iPhone personal hotspot

Rickasaurus

I used a Dialog SIM in October on an 18 day solo moto tour and it was invaluable. Google maps were great and very accurate except for the time/distance which used an average of 50 kph when it is closer to 35. (although not on a treadly as you are planning:-)

Couple of tips: Be wary of stray dogs, elephants, families of wild boar and water buffalo crossing the road. Be especially wary of tuc tucs, buses, tankers etc... abreast, vying for position on every corner.

Hectic but amazing. Bring your 'A' game,

Mark

6. Re: iPhone personal hotspot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:18