We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka Transport Questions

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka Transport Questions

Hi all,

Thanks for checking out my first post on here.

I am very excited to be travelling to Sri Lanka with my partner in March.

During a 2 week visit we'll be making the following journeys:

Colombo --> Dambulla

Dambulla --> Kandy

Kandy --> Nuwara Eliya

Nuwara Eliya --> Yala

Yala --> Mirissa

Mirissa --> Colombo

Our budget will stretch to a driver where its needed, but not to renting one for the whole trip. Therefore I was wondering how much we should expect to pay for these journeys. Are reliable drivers easy to find in each of these locations or should we try and book in advance? If yes, where would we find them? And is it worth doing any of these journey's by train? I've heard Colombo --> Kandy by train is beautiful, so thought about taking the train from Colombo to Kandy as part of our journey to Dambulla, and then finding a car for the remainder. I've also heard that Kandy --> Nuwara Eliya is possible by train, but the drive is meant to be more spectacular. Would we be wasting money by not taking the train?

Many thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Ed

1. Re: Sri Lanka Transport Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 16:05
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka Transport Questions

No need to book one-way hires in advance. One-way hires are based on approx. LKR 70-75/km. Round trips (including empty return to starting point) on approx. LKR 45-50/km.

Most scenic train ride in Sri Lanka is from Nanu Oya (Nuwara Eliya) to Badulla.

Hans

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka Transport Questions

Hi,

Get few quotations in advance compare the prices & have a idea about the prices. Planning in advance is advisable & you can try with few travel agents in Sri Lanka to get a good vehicle with English Speaking driver at a reasonable price.

JM

Timaru newzealand
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka Transport Questions

We are just back.It is very easy to get rides .We booked our last ride to airport through the hotel and paid 6000 more than we needed to.If you check out the van and they are insured it seemed to fall into place for us.I would agree good idea to have idea of cost first.destination expert are amazing for advice. Also more tourist place have offices with prices to compare.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lanka Transport Questions

All of this can be accomplished on buses. Kandy - Nuwara Eliya is probably best on the train.

Nuwara Eliya --> Yala might be the only tough day, as it will be quite long and require a change of buses (or a train and a bus) and the second bus might not run when you need it. Consider staying at Ella as Kandy-Ella (don't know about Haputale, may be better) is a lovely train ride, and it is very easy to get from Ella to Tissa on the 8.45am (I think) bus. Otherwise you might have to do this route by car, but it would be sad to miss out on the train ride.

The buses are difficult to use if you have large suitcases.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 09:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri Lanka Transport Questions

Thanks everyone, this is all extremely helpful

7. Re: Sri Lanka Transport Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:18