We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Searching for extreme adventure

Prague, Czech...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Searching for extreme adventure

Hi everyone,

Me and my friends are going to Sri Lanka for little bit more then 2 weeks in second half of January and would love to experience adventure that pushes the limits.

We love hiking in extreme conditions, climbing remote mountains or canyons, sleeping outside, bringing everything you need on our backs.

Please could you advise me, either here or by private message? Would really appreciate any tips for some off-the-beaten-track adventure!!!

Thanks a lot,

Pavel

Thank you!

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Searching for extreme adventure

Hi Pavel,

Climbing remote mountains is possible in Sri Lanka but a bit of local knowledge is required. If you specify which area are you going to select some of details cane be provided.

Nishantha

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Searching for extreme adventure

Hi Pavel

www.lakdasun.com may be of interest to you.

Archi

Prague, Czech...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Searching for extreme adventure

Hi Nishantha!

we are completely flexible, it depends on the place. We don't mind traveling to any part of Sri Lanka if it is worth it! :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Searching for extreme adventure

Hi again, Pavel

It seems that you might be looking for the type of adventure found more easily in New Zealand, Bhutan etc where the mountains are high and the terrain rugged.

There are remotish higher hills in SL but the experience will be different to that in places such as those I mentioned above. It is a small island with people never that far away. Check out the website in #1 for some ideas.

If you want an adventure sans mountains, a visit to the Jaffna area out to the islands and other places currently under the tourism radar could provide you with a different perspective on adventure travel.

Archi

Edited: 13 January 2014, 00:48
Kandy
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Searching for extreme adventure

Hi,

Few things you can consider include:

1. Namunukulla mountain range

2. Knuckles mountain range

3. From Kalupahan/Babarakande waterfall (highest waterfall in Sri Lanka) to climb up the mountain to Ohiya

4. Kirigalpotha mountain in Horton Plains (second highest mountain in Sri Lanka)

5. You can also climb Adam's Peak. But use not that popular adventurous route

6. In addition there are people who walk few kilometers in the rail track in up coutry/hill country. But I think it is not allowed to walk on rail tracks in Sri Lanka though some have posted such walks in Lakdasun.

Yes all these and some more hikes are mentioned in Lakdasun website. If you do hike these please do comment on tripadvisor forum about them as the information on some of these on TA is limited.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Searching for extreme adventure

Hi,

White Water Rafting, Rock Pool Sliding, Abseiling all these things can be done in one Place, Kitulgala , the adventure city of Sri Lanka

JM

Prague, Czech...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Searching for extreme adventure

Thank you all for these great tips, really appreciate your help!

One more thing I was wondering about: Could you recommend me some good jungle tracks/hikes? We are interested especially in areas where you can go into the jungle also without a guide.

Thank you once again!

Antarctica
Level Contributor
505 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Searching for extreme adventure

The waterfall trek in the knuckles could be ideal for you. It's a 2-3 day trek through mountains/forest, while camping for the nights. Please check the following trip reports. (They are in the same website that ArchiBrisbane provided. I think that website will be more useful for off-the-beaten-track travel than tripadvisor.)

…lakdasun.org/seek-duvili-eli-in-knuckles-ra…

…lakdasun.org/duvili-ali-through-manigala-wa…

There are many other isolated mountain/waterfall treks which are possible, and you can find quite a few trip reports of them in that site.

Antarctica
Level Contributor
505 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Searching for extreme adventure

Some isolated mountain treks:

*havagala

…lakdasun.org/searching-for-rabbits-on-top-o…

wangedigala

…lakdasun.org/scenic-hike-to-wangedigala.htm

* Maragala

…lakdasun.org/dreams-do-come-true-maragala-k…

*yahangala

http://trips.lakdasun.org/yahangala-1220m.htm

*kehelpathdowuwegala

…lakdasun.org/the-peak-of-eastern-edge-of-kn…

*Great Western

…lakdasun.org/soldiering-onto-greater-hikes-…

* Lakegala

…lakdasun.org/hiking-lakegala-knuckles-mount…

*part of pidurutalagala

…lakdasun.org/chariot-path-of-ravana-sitha-o…

*wadinagala

…lakdasun.org/wadinagala-conquered-fitness-w…

Prague, Czech...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Searching for extreme adventure

Thank you, scoobyscoobydoo!! ;)