We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Kandy, World's end, Ella, Uda Walawe NP

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Kandy, World's end, Ella, Uda Walawe NP

Next August we will go through the hills going from the cultural triangle in the North to Yala NP in the South, with private car.

How rationalising the visit of the places mentioned in the subject?

One rough plan could be:

day 1: coming from Habarana-Dambulla, visiting something in Kandy and night in Kandy.

day 2: from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya. Night in Nuwara Eliya.

day 3: very early morning in World's end, then towards Ella for some visiting there. Night in Ella.

day 4: some more visit in Ella, the to Uda Walawe NP for afternoon safari. Night near Uda Walawe NP.

day 5: towards Yala NP.

This means changing hotel room *every* night, which is quite tiring.

But I don't see alternatives:

- one night in Kandy looks necessary for the holy teeth and for the botanical garden;

- one night in Nuwara Elia looks necessary for visiting World's end the following day;

- one night in Uda Walawe looks necessary as when the afternoon safari is over it is probably too late and too dark for going directly to Tissa (Yala NP).

The only night I could skip is the one in Ella, but I read good things of that area and I wouldn't skip it.

Please, any idea to improve my itinerary!

Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,604 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Kandy, World's end, Ella, Uda Walawe NP

Hi there,

Stay 2 nights Ohiya or Haputale replacing Eliya and Ella. Close to WE and as good as Ella.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Kandy, World's end, Ella, Uda Walawe NP

Hi!

If you leave Kandy eary morning on day 2,you can cover Nuwara Eliya, Hortan Plains and reach Haputale or Bandarawela for night and it is 1-2 hours away from Ella. So the next day you can travel to Uda walawe through/covering Ella and do the evening safari and visit Elephant transit home next morning and leave for yala.

Just the possible suggestions.

Cheers!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Kandy, World's end, Ella, Uda Walawe NP

I would not go to Horton Plains from Kandy. It is at least 3.5 hours drive and you should enter Horton Plains before 8 am.

Hans

Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Kandy, World's end, Ella, Uda Walawe NP

Distance, type of terrain and time required to reach HP from Kandy well noted.but its worthless for them to stay overnight in NE as what they want is HP.there is no requirement to be there before 8. 8-12 is the best as its less misty in HP around that time.

Cheers!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,604 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Kandy, World's end, Ella, Uda Walawe NP

Not our experience, Rakkhita. It's almost essential to be at HP gate at 7 AM, as at World's End on many days the mist sets in at 8:30-9 AM and the walk to WE is 90 mins. Hence Eliya, Ohiya or Haputale are useful bases to visit the park and Kandy is definitely not, sorry...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Kandy, World's end, Ella, Uda Walawe NP

Well kandy is not a base for HP for sure.but this traveller wants to skip one night some where and see he plans to travel to NE from Kandy and stay overnight there to visit HP next day. So I feel its worth save a day as you and I cant assure him about the mist at the WE on the intended travel period.

Thanks.

7. Re: Visiting Kandy, World's end, Ella, Uda Walawe NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 06:19