We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

bolton
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

Dear Forum members

I am contemplating another trip soon to Sri Lanka from England after my last trip in 2009. At that time it was not necessary to obtain a visa to get into Sri Lanka

Please does anyone know whether it would be necessary now though.

If so how would I apply, and how long would it take to get one. What would it cost.

If anyone can help please this would be appreciated

Thank you

Ian

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

$30 USD from http://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa

You apply online, get an email confirmation almost immediately in most cases.

bolton
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

Dear Sir

Thank you for your kind help.

When you get your email confirmation do you have to print it out and take it with you to the airport please.

Ian

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,533 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

No you don't, they scan your passport at immigration and it tells the immigration officer if you have an ETA or not.

At this point I doubt any email will save you having to purchase an ETA on arrival , should their computer not be able to find your ETA.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

I would print the 'Approval Notice' as a back up. Though I have never been asked to show it at immigration.

Hans

bolton
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

Dear Mankster and Hans:

Mankster-I appreciate your comments which have clarified this for me in regard to the ETA.

Hans-Thanks for the tip. In regard to the forthcoming trip, I intend to take your most sensible advice.

I was interested to hear one can purchase the ETA upon arrival.

If one does take up the option to get the ETA upon arrival rather than in advance; do they charge more please?

Best wishes

Ian

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,604 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

Hi Ian,

Yes for sure, 5 USD extra. Plus an extra queue which in the 3 times I passed by that desk recently everytime seemed to take 10-15 minutes at least, not what you're after just coming from a long flight...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

bolton
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

Dear Erik

Thank you for advising me about the charges when paying upon arrival. Although 5 dollars isnt a lot of money, one can still see the sense in avoiding needless expense.

Furthermore I fully concur with your comments about avoidable queuing when having taken a long and tiring journey.

Thank you and kindest regards

Ian

Colombo
Level Contributor
74 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

Hello Ian,

As others emphasized, pls opt for ETA to avoid queue and hassle. Please also ensure your passport is valid for 6 month from the date of arrival.

Good luck!

Nuzraan

bolton
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

Dear Nuzraan

Thank you so much for your kindness. I am getting a passport soon so it will be a new one. I will also get the ETA in advance as advised.

It is a most beautiful country and I cant wait !

Best wishes

Ian

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka from UK

Gosh, glad I just read this. Didn't realise I needed to get a visa - we travel in April. Thank you!