We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Sri Lanka honeymoon itinerary

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Sri Lanka honeymoon itinerary

Hello all,

We are currently planning our honeymoon to Sri Lanka in March and would appreciate some help from anyone who knows the place well.

We are there for 14 nights and this is our current plan (note: We were planning to visit Yala between Nuwara Eliya and Galle but we decided to give this a miss as we're not particularly desperate to see leopards (especially if it's very touristy) and it seems there are lots of other national parks that our worth visiting.

Day 1 - Arrive Columbo

Day 2,3,4 - Cultural Triangle (staying at Ulagalla)

Day 5,6 - Kandy (staying at Kandy House)

Day 7,8 - Nuwara Eliya/Hatton (staying at Ceylon Tea Trails)

Day 9,10,11 - Galle (staying at Kahanda Kanda)

Day 12,13,14 - Beach resort - perhaps Bentota (Perhaps stay at Paradise Road The Villa Bentota)

Day 15 - Flight home

My concern at the moment is the drive from Nuwara Eliya to Galle. While we are OK with driving, I really want to avoid too many days when we are sat in a car and I have read it can be up to 8 hours drive. So my questions are:

1) Can anyone suggest a different route which will allow us to see the same things?

2) Is there anywhere we can stop off and see/stay en route? I was possibly looking at Sinharaja, but I'm not sure if this is on the way. I think we have time to stop somewhere seeing as I don't think we need 3 days in Galle, but perhaps I'm wrong and it would be better to get straight there and have more time to spend in Galle.

3) Obviously we will see a variety of things along the way, but is there anything on this route that people would 100% suggest we see? Or any suggestions on hotels?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who can help!! :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,486 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Sri Lanka honeymoon itinerary

Hi there,

Well the drive is longer following the scenic route (Ella or Haputale and then to south coast) as you're coming from CTT, not Eliya itself - might be 9 hours. But suggest a different route: CTT (Bogawantalawa) - Hatton - Avissawella - Kottawa and then Expressway to Galle. I'd say overall 6 hours.

As for mustsees: a train ride Kandy to Rambukkana or other way round, the no. 2 scenic ride of the island.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Sri Lanka honeymoon itinerary

Your hotel choices are good. The other great hotel you can fit into a honeymoon itinerary is Amanwalle, which is in Tangalle. Your route will pretty much be similar to what you had in mind initially; hill country, drive to the SE part and then along the coast to the SW beaches etc

Some may think it's a waste to come all the way to that part of the country and not see the leopards, but you get to do the scenic route, and also break the journey at one of the finest hotels in the country. But that will mean reducing a day from one of the other bases.

3. Re: Help with Sri Lanka honeymoon itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:21