We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regulations when getting married in Sri Lanka

bolton
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Topic
Regulations when getting married in Sri Lanka

In regard to the anticipated trip later on this year, in which my travelling companion will be meeting up with his Sri Lankan fiancee and getting married; please may I enquire whether there is some regulation that stipulates that he has to be in the country for some minimum period of time before he is allowed to marry.

I think there used to be a law that said one had to be in SL for a week. However I don't know whether or not things have changed

Any advice would be most gratefully received

Best wishes

Ian

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,631 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regulations when getting married in Sri Lanka

Hi Ian,

Still 4 nights before yes. And not only in the country, but at the specific marriage town/hotel (at least has to report there 4 n before, can still make outing to other place). The rules might sound archaic but are also existent in many Western countries: at the arrival moment the planned marriage is pre-announced in some town hall register, so that anyone in the wider public has the time to doublecheck whether either bride-to-be or groom-to-be might already be married-common-law-style to someone else ;-)

All the best.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

bolton
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Regulations when getting married in Sri Lanka

Dear Erik

Your information is most helpful indeed. Thank you and best wishes

Ian

3. Re: Regulations when getting married in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:17