We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 day tentative August itinerary

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
17 day tentative August itinerary

We (2 people) will travel next August with private car with driver.

We are extremely interested in archeological sites (note that we are very slow in visiting them) and nature/wildlife. We like nice and unspoiled beaches, but beaches are not a priority for us (and also August is not the best season, apart from the east coast).

We could be intersted in marine wildlife, but August is not the best month for that (sometimes too late also for whale-watching in Trincomalee).

1- At 2 PM landing in Negombo airport. Going to Anuradhpura (about 4 hours) for spending the night there.

2 - Visit Anuradhpura and Mihintale. Back to Anuradhpura for the second night.

3 - Aukana in the morning, then Sigiriya. Night in Habarana or Sigirya or Dambulla (which one?).

4 - Polonnaruwa in the morning + afternoon safari in Minniriya/Kaudulla NP, Second night in Habarana or Sigirya or Dambulla.

5 - Dambulla in the morning + Ritigala in the afternoon. Third night in Habarana or Sigirya or Dambulla.

6 - On the way to Kandy, visiting Nalanda Gedige and Aluvihare. Visit Kandy (holy teeth temple) and night in Kandy (with Esala Perahera).

7 - Visiting outside Kandy town: botanical gardens + devala (for sure Embekke Devala). No Pinnawela orphanage as I read the elephants are not treated well.

Going to Nuwara Eliya (visiting waterfalls and perhaps tea plantations along the way) for the night.

Alternatively we could sleep in Ohiya (pro: nearer to Horton Plains) or in Haputale (pro: we could stay 2 nights in the same hotel), but I am afraid it would be too long a day.

8 - *Very* early morning wake up and visiting Horton Plains. Then move towards Haputale, with Bambarakanda waterfalls on the way (something else?). Night in Haputale.

9 - Early morning visit of Lipton's seat, then Diyaluma waterfalls and Buduruwagala going towards south. Arriving in Uda Walawe NP.

Visiting the Elephant Orphanage and then afternoon safari. Night drive to Tissa, where we spend the first night.

Is this day too busy?

10 - Yala NP. Or one morning and one afternoon safari or a full day safari. Second night in Tissa.

11 - Morning tour to Bundala NP.

Afternoon safari to Yala NP. Third night in Tissa.

12 - Yala NP, morning safari (it would be the 4th half-day safari in Yala... do you think it is too much? Should I relax and save some money, instead?).

In the afternoon moving to Tangalla/Rekawa. Night on Rekawa beach waiting for the turtles coming on the shore to lay eggs. The problem is that the moon will rise very late that night (almost 2 AM). One problem is obvious: no moon means no natural light to see the turtles, but I am also satisfied to know they are there on the beach laying their eggs in the darkness, although I do not see them well. But I wonder if they are coming to the beach in any case, also with no light. Do turtles prefer the full moon to lay eggs?

13 - Visiting the lagoon area and/or relax on the beach (no swimming in August, rough sea, I know). In the afternoon Mulkirigala. Second night in Tangalle/Rekawa area.

14 - Perhaps some relax on the beach in the first part of the morning. Then towards Sinharaja. visiting hoo-maniya on the way. Possibly afternoon tour in Sinharaja reserve. Night in the forest.

15 - Early morning birding tour in Sinharaja. Then going to Galle. Night in Galle.

16 - Relax in Galle and then towards Negombo (airport).

17- Flight.

Any comment and/or suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,247 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 day tentative August itinerary

Hi there,

Not bad.

* Choice Dambulla-Habarana etc. really depends on best acco for you. All are central for Triangle

* Day9 too packed. Better stay Embilipitiya

* For most people 1 Yala safari suffices, maybe 2. Four is overkill.

* Day14: Afternoon in Sinharaja too hot and often too wet. Not much birds to see

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 day tentative August itinerary

Thank you.

The second part of the itinerary could be modified like this:

9 - Early morning visit of Lipton's seat, then Diyaluma waterfalls and Buduruwagala site going towards Tissa, where we spend the first night (no more Uda Walawe on the way, the day was too packed. Now I am considering Uda Walawe as a halfday-trip from Tangalla).

10 - Yala NP. Or one morning and one afternoon safari or a full day safari. Second night in Tissa.

11 - Morning tour to Bundala NP.

Afternoon safari to Yala NP (third safari) or alternatively visiting Kataragama + Situlpawwa temple, as Erik very probably would suggest to do as it looks 3 safari in Yala are really too much!

Third night in Tissa.

12 - Moving to Tangalla/Rekawa and relax day on the beach (no swimming in August, rough sea, I know) and/or visiting the laggon.

Night on Rekawa beach waiting for the turtles coming on the shore to lay eggs. The problem is that the moon will rise very late that night (almost 2 AM). So it will be completely dark. Will the turtles come to the beach in any case or they prefer the full moon to lay eggs?

13 - In the morning relax on the beach. In the afternoon halfday-trip to Uda Walawe NP.

Visiting the Elephant Transit Orphanage and then afternoon safari. Night drive to Tangalla/Rekawa area, for the second night.

14 - In the morning visit of Mulkirigala. Then to Galle, some visiting and night in Galle.

(I am considering switching Galle and Sinharaja. Good idea? Bad idea? More or less the same?).

15 - Morning in Galle, then to Sinharaja reserve. Night in the forest.

16 - Early morning birding tour in Sinharaja. Then going towards Negombo (airport) for the night.

17- Flight.

Thanks.

Kandy
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 day tentative August itinerary

Hi,

I did check your recent topic 'Lipton's seat vs. Little Adam's Peak' and wondered what was your full itinerary. So day 8 you will visit Horton Plains early morning. As you like nature then a hike you can consider is to walk from Ohiya upto Babarakande waterfall. After visiting horton Plains you can inform your driver to drive you to the Ohiya-Kalupahana road. The road is only accessible for few kilometers. So tell him to drive you much as possibl. From that point you can walk and tell your driver to pick you up at Babarakande waterfall. You basically have to walk on the Ohiya-Kalupahana road, but may be you can take an estate worker on your way to show you the directions. You could also check the following link to some information on the hike.

…lakdasun.org/journey-from-kalupahana-to-ohi…

Best regards,

Savan

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 day tentative August itinerary

Thank you. I had already seen that waterfall on the map, but I still had no idea how to reach it!

I only wonder how much time and effort it needs (perhaps it is clear in the link, but at the moment I still don't find the info).

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 day tentative August itinerary

Tip: Ritigala comes under Dept of Archaeology, and none of the monuments under it have an entrance fee. So, do not be coerced into paying!

SavanKumarasiri - how many Kms from Ohiya (Hill Safari Eco Lodge) to Bambarakanda? Also out of that how much can a van handle? Planning to walk this stretch in March.

Dehiwala-Mount...
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 17 day tentative August itinerary

Spoke to the Tourism Help Desk (1912), Ritigala entrance is in the range of LKR1000 to 1500, about a year back it was LKR800, and an official receipt is to be collected. Being a holiday today, cannot contact the Dept of Archaeology. Mind you there is a lot of corruption here and even the Dondra Head Light House where LKR500 was asked per foreigner with no official receipt.

1LifeStand,

According to a friend, Ohiya to Bambarakanda by jeep would take around 2 to 2.5hrs due to bad road conditions. There are many pathways through the tea plantations and best is to get a local to guide you through.

Would be doing this in April, would like to have your feed back.

Thank you.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 04:38
Kandy
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 17 day tentative August itinerary

…lakdasun.org/memorable-journey-to-ohiya.htm

Check day two of the above link. It provides lot of Information on the hike from Ohiya to Bambarakande, including distance.

For more scenic photos of the hike can be checked from the following link.

…lakdasun.org/scenic-hike-from-ohiya-to-bamb…

8. Re: 17 day tentative August itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 07:17