We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best whale watching trip if seasick?

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
366 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Best whale watching trip if seasick?

We are staying in Hikkaduwa & are keen on whale watching. I know we'd have to get a very early taxi to Galle or Mirrissa. Are we better going with the bigger navy boat from Galle, or travel further to Mirrissa for the smaller boats. I do tend to get very seasick.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,536 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best whale watching trip if seasick?

Never tried the big navy boat from Galle (to be honest, didn't even know that was an option)

If you go to Galle, it's probably cheaper (save the taxi money and save money on whale watching, which i am sure costs more than the navy boat) but it also means they will cruise all the way to Mirissa, so a longer trip on water. Because every time i have gone whale watching from Mirissa, most of the time we didn't have to go too far, sometimes they were just 40minutes away from Mirissa port. only on a couple of rare occasions we had to go out for over 3 hours to look for them, one of these was because the Boat we were on that time, was a "lone ranger" they were determined on finding their own whale by them selves (we did find eventually) and on the second occasion, no one had seen any whales that day.

Going to sleep in Mirissa is not an option?

Edited: 23 January 2014, 00:47
2. Re: Best whale watching trip if seasick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:37