We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car/driver costs

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car/driver costs

I have seen car/driver costs of 45/50 LKR per km.

Should this include the driver's accommodation and food

Are they still at that rate or have they increased?

I have been quoted 835 US$ for 12 days in March, going from Negombo, Anuradhapura, Sigiriya, Polannaruwa, Dambulla, Kandy, Dalhousie, Nuwara Eliya, Ella, Tissamaharamaya, Mirrissa and the transport cost back to Negombo, although we will be staying in Mirrissa.

Is it a reasonable quote?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car/driver costs

Most hotels and better guesthouses provide free accommodation and food for drivers and guides.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,036 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car/driver costs

The fair quote should be based on 1400 km; even with Rs 50 which is on the high side this is Rs 70,000 --> Below USD 500. You might have hit the minimum daily mileage on a few days which leads to more km but even that can't explain the gap - these guys are hugely overpriced, sorry.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car/driver costs

Not 'hugely overpriced'. I would say slightly overpriced - approx. USD 5/day.

Hans

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: car/driver costs

Thank you Hans and Erik&Sandya.

Hans, does that mean that rate per km is about 70 Rs at the moment or should the mileage be more?

Darsha

5. Re: car/driver costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:19