We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions to help me prepare for Sri Lanka (5 wks)

A few questions to help me prepare for Sri Lanka (5 wks)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2016, 05:00
1. Re: A few questions to help me prepare for Sri Lanka (5 wks)

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2016, 05:00
Dehiwala-Mount...
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions to help me prepare for Sri Lanka (5 wks)

1/ Visa extension details http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=sri+lanka+visa+extension

2/ There are banks and ATM's in most towns. All hotels (except a few) would accept credit cards. Guest houses do not. Depending on the hotels / guest houses and the kind of meals that you are looking for, entrance fees ect., you may carry cash. It is safe and you too will have to take precautions about your stuff.

3/ Tuk Tuk's are available all around. In the Colombo and a few areas you could find Meter tuk tuk's. If not get some opinion from the guest house to how much you should be paying. You will have to bargain. Taxi's could be arranged through the hotel/guest. Public buses do cover a wide area.

4/ You could purchase a SIM from the airport. Most have good coverage. You may carry a round pin and square pin adapter to be on the safe side. Most of the small hotels have round pin.

5/ Water would be the most important and some sort of snack. You may get your charger and other stuff while you are in Colombo.

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,706 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions to help me prepare for Sri Lanka (5 wks)

2) For ATMs and possible charges, read this tripadvisor.com/…56049131

3) Trains don't cover the whole island. railway.gov.lk/web/…railway_network.png

4a) Just make sure that your smartphone is unlocked beforehand. You can choose any of the major carriers ie Dialog, Mobitel or Etisalat. If there are two of you with two phones, I'd get 2 different carriers.

4b) You will need an adapter to plug in your Australian charger. As it was mentioned in the above post, there are two types of power outlets in Sri Lanka, therefore you will need to buy two different adapters (one round pin and one square pin) to be prepared for any type of power outlet you might come across in your 5 weeks. Adapters are locally known as "multi-plugs" and will not cost more than 1AUD).

Why don't you bring an extension board from there ? Once you plug in your extension board to a local power outlet you can plug in /charge all your Aus made electronics via you Aus power board.

I'm assuming you will be traveling along the south west coast ? The sea might be rough at most of the places.

Mentioned in this post
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions to help me prepare for Sri Lanka (5 wks)

2. Always draw the maximum you can to keep bank charges low. Split it between you.

3. Trains never went where I wanted, when I wanted. Buses are far more practical, although the train Kandy to Ella/Badulla or vice/versa is a must.

4. Bring your smart phone so that you can use WiFi. Facebook/Twitter/WhatsApp or whatever you normally use is the easiest way to keep in touch.

5. No need to bring mosquito nets. Most beds had them.

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Ella
Ella
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Badulla
Badulla
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions to help me prepare for Sri Lanka (5 wks)

Buses are far more practical

--------------------

But have limited space for luggage. Hard shell suitcases is a no no.

Hans

6. Re: A few questions to help me prepare for Sri Lanka (5 wks)

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:16