We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nanu Oya to Ella

Glasgow
Level Contributor
45 posts
369 reviews
Save Topic
Nanu Oya to Ella

Hi, I am a bit confused about the best options for my wife and I to travel by train from Nanu Oya to Ella on the 19th March.

We would prefer to travel in the Observation carriage or a second class carriage. We love the idea of travelling in a train through the beautiful scenery in a train with open windows, perhaps an area to stand outside and journey alongside locals - but I would very much prefer to have seats.

I have read conflicting train times on Seat 61 and the Sri Lankan government train site. Should trust the government site? Which means the train with an Observation carriage on the 19th March is at 15.55 and arrives at Ella at 18.22 – Would it be dark by the end of the journey?

Can we book seats in a second class carriage for this journey either on this train or another train that day?

Lastly, If we do book seats in the Observation carriage can we book two of the four best seats or is it first come first served?

Thanks

Mark

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,432 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nanu Oya to Ella

Hi Mark,

The problem with changed timetables is of this whole winter, there ARE changes pending also due to adding a 3rd private lux carriage but not certain exactly when. So I'm afraid you have to inquire once in Lanka what the real times are. And indeed 6 PM it starts getting dark.

The train with Obscarriage does not have reservable 2nd class. And for Obscarriage tickets I'm not that certain that Nanu Oya station sells them, again a matter of inquire once you are there; SLR website only mentions Colombo/Kandy/Badulla stations as reservation points on this line. And it's first come first served with that reservation, so quite likely those go out before you arrive at the counter esp. as now reservation period is 45 days ahead.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Glasgow
Level Contributor
45 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nanu Oya to Ella

Thanks Eric.

I will check if my driver/guide can get a reservation for the Obscarriage for our travel date. Maybe they are gone now though as they will have been on sale for more than 2 weeks already.

If not would I be able to get my driver to reserve 2nd class seats on one of the other trains from Nanu Oya to Ella that day?

Thanks

Mark

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,432 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nanu Oya to Ella

Hi again,

Yes for sure, the two other trains (Chinese powersets) have plenty of 2nd class seats, about half of those are reservable. As not that many people are aware of that generally it's possible to get a reservation.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Glasgow
Level Contributor
45 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nanu Oya to Ella

Thanks again Eric,

I am now leaning towards reserving 2nd class seats then on Train number 1005.

Hopefully I can arrange the reservations before travelling and if not will try my best too book seats on the day at Nanu Oya.

Any suggestions for best side of the train to try and get seats for?

Thanks

Mark

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,432 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nanu Oya to Ella

Hi again,

It really doesn't matter much. Maybe 60% of the time on the right (west-southwest side) and 40% on the left (east) side as esp. towards Haputale-Bandarawela the train rides on a mountain ridge with alternating views on each side...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: Nanu Oya to Ella

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:24