We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day itinerary

Boston...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day itinerary

Hello TA,

I have just booked a flight to Sri Lanka in late May. Both of my parents are Sri Lankan but fled the country shortly before I was born due to the war. This will be my first visit to the island and I'm very much looking forward to getting intimately familiar with my roots. My entire family is making the trip, though from different hubs in the US and Kuala Lumpur. Because of this, I will have 24 hours to myself arriving at CMB at 8:45am on a Sunday before the rest of my family arrives the next morning. I'd like to stay relatively close to the airport to meet them the following day and my interests, in order, are beaches, great Sri Lankan food, nature/wildlife... (and a bar or two wouldn't hurt).

Could anyone recommend an itinerary for 24 hours including town to stay in overnight and things to do during the day? I'm comfortable traveling up to 2 hours each way for the day but would clearly prefer a shorter trip since I will be coming off 24 hours of travel as is. In regards to budget, I have been waiting my entire life for this trip so I am flexible on spend.

Also, how safe is it for someone with a Tamil last name to be traveling solo? This may be a naive question today but I'd love to get insight from those of you living in SL currently.

Thanks in advance for your guidance,

Suren

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,221 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day itinerary

I'm not sure how much research you have already done, but most of the iconic beaches and wildlife are well away from the airport.

It makes better sense to spend your day at Negombo - a coastal tourist town - that is close to the airport.

You *could* go to Colombo and back, but this is really not worth it, after a flight from Boston. So book a hotel in Negombo (plenty of nice options there), walk around the main strip of shops, have a swim, eat and head to a bar in the night if you still have any energy left.

You will be perfectly safe with any sort of surname.

2. Re: 1 Day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 06:17