We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road status between Avissawella and Nuwara-Eliya (A7)

Colombo
Level Contributor
26 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Road status between Avissawella and Nuwara-Eliya (A7)

Anyone who recently travelled along the road Avissawella - Nuwara-Eliya (aka A7)? I was told that it is heavily under construction. But until when is unknown to me. I am a bit bored with the extremely congested alternative via Kandy/Peradeniya. I hope someone can help me out here!

Thanks in Advance,

M

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road status between Avissawella and Nuwara-Eliya (A7)

Not sure of Avissawella - NE road, but on 4th Feb, to avoid Independence Day Celebrations, we drove down via Kurunegala. Kandy to Kurunegala was a breeze!

There is a less congested route via Gampola/ Nawalapitiya - but I dont have directions at the moment.

Try the train! Get to Nanu Oya by 12.30pm! And in my view the Ramboda Rd has the better views (except for the 2 waterfalls on the Hatton Rd).

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road status between Avissawella and Nuwara-Eliya (A7)

The alternative route was discussed recently. Have a read here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k719…

You can avoid Gampola and go via the Kothmale dam.

Colombo
Level Contributor
26 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road status between Avissawella and Nuwara-Eliya (A7)

Thanks so far. I am familiar with the Kurunegala alternative. Don't tell anyone, but if you continue towards Dankotuwa (north of Negombo) and take the expressway to Colo, you can save more than 2 hours - or have a halfway swim in the sea to freshen up.

If you hear more about the A7 or other recently renovated roads as an alternative to more 'northern' options, please let me know!

Colombo
Level Contributor
26 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road status between Avissawella and Nuwara-Eliya (A7)

Thanks. Just what I was looking for :-)

5. Re: Road status between Avissawella and Nuwara-Eliya (A7)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:20