We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colombo - Matara Highway

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
336 reviews
Save Topic
Colombo - Matara Highway

Few Questions:

Would the Colombo - Matara Highway bus be available at Maharagama? Would it start from anywhere else? What is the ticket price?

Approx what is the duration from Colombo to Matara on the highway​?

What is the best way to get from Matara to Tangalle? Are there regular buses?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,829 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colombo - Matara Highway

Hi there,

Well firstly in the announcements of the opening I did not read anything yet about bus. Most likely the current EX01 line will simply be extended to Matara, with always stop in Galle; after all the junction for Galle is only 7-10 mins from the bus stand. But at some point another variety could be split off, just as now (soon) already we have a line Galle-Kaduwela next to Galle-Maharagama; so then we could get Maharagama-Matara without Galle stop.

Matara to Tangalle take the #32 but there are also different shorter-distance lines; for the latter make sure you take a coastal-route one and not a Beliatta-route as that's a bit of a detour.

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colombo - Matara Highway

Maharagama-Matara buses should start from 30 March according to Daily Mirror today.

SLTB tried to start 6 buses yesterday, but stopped again due to protests from private bus owners.

Hans

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colombo - Matara Highway

Thanks Erik & Hans. Cant wait to check out this stretch and experience the ease of getting to Tangalle.

We took the Galle - Colombo bus which is now Rs.420.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,829 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colombo - Matara Highway

Wow, a price _reduction_ in Lanka, that's very very rare ;-) Galle to Kottawa/Maharagama was Rs 500 but they got undercut by the new Galle-Kaduwela line for Rs 450, that might have influenced this price cut...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colombo - Matara Highway

No, I think its because of the Govt Buses at Maharagama charge Rs.420!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,829 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colombo - Matara Highway

Well yes but I _did_ have such a government bus last January and the price was Rs 500. Also for all Lankans on board of the bus, no 'tourist price' ;-) Also that Rs 500 was mentioned in the newspaper story about the opening of the Galle - Kaduwela route, they deliberately undercut that Rs 500 price for Galle-Maharagama and now the other route price got reduced...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Colombo - Matara Highway

Is it true the bus is going every 20 min from matra?

What about taking a surfboard with me? Possible?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,829 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colombo - Matara Highway

Yes that's about the frequency.

The aisles are kept free, unlike with normal 'AC Express' buses, hence there is a bit more space for luggage. Still I expect that _if_ you're allowed to carry it you will be charged for an extra seat. Weird enough, although these are tour buses which have in my eyes considerable luggage bays in the bottom, I've never seen the drivers/conductors offering this luggage space to the passengers - all (little) tolerated luggage is in the passenger compartment :-(

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colombo - Matara Highway

hey guys,

the express buses that take the highway have a luggage compartment in the "bottom" of the bus. You can store your board there. couple of times there were buses where the compartments were "too small" for the longboard to fit, but they "removed" the sides/separators to fit the whole board on top of the luggages.

Edited: 12 October 2014, 12:10
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,829 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colombo - Matara Highway

Wow, great news - I knew that the compartment is there but had never seen it being used/offered. Thanks, will also modify Public Transport top question in next round.

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]